It is so nice to be home! We have spent the last 10 days traveling for spring break. It was so nice to take a break for a while, but I am happy to be back in my own bed and in my house. We had access to a kitchen a few nights on vacation, but for the most part I didn’t do much cooking. So I am also happy to get back into the kitchen and have a few home cooked meals again. I will be sharing more from our trip over the next couple weeks. We had a great time, and I am excited to share some pictures with you!
Before we left on vacation I made these stuffed shells. It makes quite a bit, so I put it in 2 pans, and froze one for later. It was so nice to come home and have something that I could just put in the oven, and not have to worry about having groceries or other food in the house. I do not make many freezer meals, but after how convenient this was, I might have to do it more. Artichokes are my one of my husband’s favorite things. So when I saw this recipe, I knew that I had to make it for him.
Spinach and artichokes are a classic combination, and they work perfectly in these stuffed shells. They are mixed with lots of cheese for a comforting meal. You will definitely not miss the meat with these shells. But if you wanted to bulk it up some, you could add some shredded chicken to the mixture. My husband and I both enjoyed the leftovers the next day for lunch.
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 (28 oz) cans fire roasted tomatoes (crushed)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, , shredded
- 1 (15oz) reduced fat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (14oz) jar artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 (10oz) packaged frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 garlic cloves, , minced
- 32 jumbo shells, , cooked 2 minutes shy of package directions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 2 9-inch baking pans with non-stick spray.
- To make the sauce: Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add garlic cloves, and cook for about 1 minute; or until fragrant. Add in tomatoes, oregano and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 10 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the filling: In a large bowl mix together 1 cup of Mozzarella, ricotta, black pepper, artichoke hearts, spinach, and garlic until well combined.
- Place about 1/2 of sauce into the bottom of each pan (just enough to coat).
- Spoon about 2 Tbls of filling into each of the shells. Place the shells into the pans. Once you have assembled all of the shells, pour the remaining sauce over the shells. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and back for 30 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- To freeze: Instead of baking cover with plastic crap, and then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. To heat bake for 60-70 minutes if frozen.
Amount Per ServingCalories 787Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 27mgSodium 236mgCarbohydrates 134gFiber 9gSugar 3gProtein 33g