I don’t know about you, but I am always looking for new ideas for dinner. We eat a lot of chicken, but I try to change it up as much as possible. Stir fries are an easy way to do that, but even that can get a little old sometimes. Plus I like it to be good for you, so sometimes that can be limiting. Not too much cream, or butter, or cheese – you know the good stuff 🙂 I gotta save my calories for dessert!
As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. It was so colorful, full of veggies, and lots of flavor. And….it is good for you! It took awhile before I finally got around to making it, but it was worth the wait. It is a simple, quick, weeknight meal that you can throw together in under 30 minutes.
I used rice noodles that you would make Pad Thai with, because that is what I had. But really any noodle would work here, vermicelli, spaghetti, lo mein, whatever! My husband liked to drizzle some hoisin sauce on his. I tried that with the leftovers, and it really was a nice addition.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, , cut in thin strips
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 small onion, , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 bag, (12 oz) broccoli slaw
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 10 oz rice noodles, (prepared according to the package)
- 1/3 cup reduce sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbls chili garlic sauce
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbls of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is fully cooked (about 5-7 minutes). Remove chicken from the pan, and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil and add the broccoli slaw. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the slaw is crisp tender.
- Stir in the crushed red pepper and the chili garlic sauce.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, and mix in the noodles. Pour the soy sauce over everything, and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately
Adapted from Realistic Nutritionist
Amount Per ServingCalories 261 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 66mg Sodium 892mg Carbohydrates 16g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 26g