I don’t know about you, but I am always looking for new ideas for dinner. We eat a lot of chicken, but I try to change it up as much as possible. Stir fries are an easy way to do that, but even that can get a little old sometimes. Plus I like it to be good for you, so sometimes that can be limiting. Not too much cream, or butter, or cheese – you know the good stuff 🙂 I gotta save my calories for dessert!
As soon as I saw this recipe, I knew I had to make it. It was so colorful, full of veggies, and lots of flavor. And….it is good for you! It took awhile before I finally got around to making it, but it was worth the wait. It is a simple, quick, weeknight meal that you can throw together in under 30 minutes.
I used rice noodles that you would make Pad Thai with, because that is what I had. But really any noodle would work here, vermicelli, spaghetti, lo mein, whatever! My husband liked to drizzle some hoisin sauce on his. I tried that with the leftovers, and it really was a nice addition.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, , cut in thin strips
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 small onion, , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 bag, (12 oz) broccoli slaw
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 10 oz rice noodles, (prepared according to the package)
- 1/3 cup reduce sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbls chili garlic sauce
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbls of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, and garlic. Saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is fully cooked (about 5-7 minutes). Remove chicken from the pan, and cover to keep warm.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil and add the broccoli slaw. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the slaw is crisp tender.
- Stir in the crushed red pepper and the chili garlic sauce.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, and mix in the noodles. Pour the soy sauce over everything, and stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately
Adapted from Realistic Nutritionist
Amount Per ServingCalories 261Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 66mgSodium 892mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 26g