Apple season is upon us. I love apples, and I love baking with apples. Unfortunately my family has something wrong with them, and they don’t like apple desserts. My son loves apples dipped in peanut butter, but that is where it ends. Seriously, the kid won’t even eat applesauce. I know. I screwed up some how. My husband, he doesn’t like the skin of the apple. Or so he claims. Because I offer to peel them, and he still won’t eat them. So whatever, more for me!
My monthly cooking club started up again yesterday. This month the theme was fruits. Since apples are everywhere lately, I decided to do an apple dessert. I knew the ladies would be much more appreciative of this than my family. I almost went the savory route, but I was craving some soft, cinnamony, baked apples. I am semi-obsessed with blondies, and apples seemed like the perfect thing to mix in. Plus I topped the blondies with frosting, so that makes it even better, right?
Can we talk about the frosting for a minute? I wanted something sweet, but not just a plain vanilla. So I added brown sugar and cinnamon. It has a little spice, a deeper color, and so much flavor. I am pretty sure I will be finding lots more ways to use this frosting. As you can see these blondies are mostly layers of apples, with a little bit of blondie mixed in. I personally loved it that way, but you could dice your apples and use less of them if you wanted more blondie to apple. Either way, this is one of my new favorite fall treats!
Blondies with soft, cinnamony, apples in them topped with a cinnamon brown sugar frosting
10 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbls milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, and an egg until light and fluffy. Add flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Fold in apples.
- Pour into baking dish. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool completely.
- To prepare the frosting, mix together all of the ingredients until you get the desired consistency. Adjust the powdered sugar and milk as necessary. On blondies are completely cooled, frost.
Adapted from Caramel Potatoes