I am absolutely loving these warmer days. This week I even got outside to go for a walk with a friend. My 8 year old is even riding his bike to school again. Spring is in the air, and I am ready for it to stay. My 8 year old was looking at the weather app on his tablet this morning. He was so excited that in the 10 day forecast there was a day in the 70’s. He is ready to wear shorts again, because apparently 8 year old boys are too cool for pants. I am learning that the hard way this year.
White pizza is always a hit. It is a slight twist on the traditional pizza with tomato sauce, but still close enough that I can get by with it at my house. I live in a house full or purists when it comes to pizza. So if I can find a way to mix it up and still make the guys happy, it is a good day. And white pizza always seems to work. This pizza is full of garlic-y, cheese-y goodness and topped with fresh herbs. Plus, it is actually pretty good for you. You can’t say that about every pizza.
Greek yogurt gets heated and turned into homemade ricotta for the base of this pizza. Such a creamy “sauce” for a pizza. It is then topped with two kinds of cheese, chicken, and fresh thyme. You can use rotisserie chicken or even leftover chicken for a quick and easy dinner. If you are seriously pressed for time, you could even use store bought ricotta. But making it only takes under 10 minutes, and it happens in the microwave. Plus these are so easy to freeze, so you can have pizza in minutes any night of the week.
Cheese-y, garlic-y, and easy white chicken pizzas. Make some for tonight, and freeze the rest for later!
15 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 2 pounds pizza dough
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, nonfat
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 2/3 cup Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbls fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan combine olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, and sprigs of thyme. Heat over medium heat for 4-5 minutes; until garlic starts to brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Pour oil through a strainer, saving the oil in a small bowl.
- Combine milk, Greek yogurt, and vinegar in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 6 minutes. Gently stir to form small curds. Strain curds through a fine mesh strainer. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine oil, curds, and salt, mixing well.
- Roll out pizza dough into 12 small rounds. Spread about 1 1/2 Tbls of oil mixture over each round of dough. Sprinkle with Italian cheese blend and Mozzarella cheese. Spread chicken evenly over each pizza. Sprinkle thyme leaves over pizzas.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melted and the edges of the crust are starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Spread basil leaves and black pepper over pizzas.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
To Freeze: Only bake the pizzas for 5 minutes. Cool completely before wrapping in foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, place frozen pizza in a 450 degree oven for 10-14 minutes.