Lemon Chicken Skillet – A one skillet dinner of roasted chicken and potatoes in a fresh lemon sauce
Happy Monday! Are you ready for another week? I trust that everyone had a great weekend. Our weekend was filled with family and lots of baseball. My parents are here visiting, my son had the last 2 games of his baseball season, and we went to a minor league baseball game in town. Today my parents are taking my 8 year old for a couple days to go to Colorado Springs. They will have lots of fun together, and my husband and I get a couple nights at home alone!
Lemon is one of the perfect flavors for summer. It is light and fresh, and just tastes like summer. You can have it in dessert or in a main dish, and you instantly feel relaxed and ready for the sun. The only thing better than making dinner on the grill in the summer, is making dinner in one dish. Cutting down on dishes, so you can get back to life, is always a good thing!
Lemon Chicken Skillet does have you turn on the oven, but it is quick! So hopefully it won’t heat up your house too much. My one word of advice for this recipe, is to precook your potatoes. I didn’t do that, and it took way longer than I wanted it to to cook them on the stove top. If I would have microwaved them for a few minutes before I started, this dinner could have come together in about 30 minutes.
Want more? Check out all of the other One Pan Dinner Recipes here and here are some more you might like:
Sweet Potato Tex Mex Skillet by Shugary Sweets
One Pan Rigatoni with Creamy Red Wine Tomato Sauce by Rachel Cooks
One Pan Southwestern Chicken Skillet
Cheeseburger Macaroni Skillet
A one skillet dinner of roasted chicken and potatoes in a fresh lemon sauce
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken breast halves (I used hind quarters)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- 1 pound red potatoes, diced
- 1 lemon, seeded and cut into slices
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tps fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbls butter
- Parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Spray pan with non-stick spray, add chicken, skin side down. Cook for about 6 minutes or until skin is golden brown. Turn chicken over, put the pan in the oven. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add 1 Tbls olive oil to the pan. Add potatoes and season with 1/4 tsp of salt. Cook potatoes for 15-20 minutes, until tender. Remove the potatoes from the pan. Add the lemon slices, and cook for about 1 minute on each side or until browned. Remove lemon. Add 1 Tbls olive oil to pan. Add onions and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken stock, and chopped fresh thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Return potatoes and lemon slices to pan. Season with the remaining 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper. Heat for 2 minutes until the potatoes are warm.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock stock and 1 tsp cornstarch. Stir cornstarch mixture to the pan, and boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Return the chicken to the pan, tossing to coat in the sauce.
- Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
Adapted from Cooking Light