It is a new year, it is time for a new muffin recipe. You all know that I am obsessed with muffins, so this should come as no surprise. And because we are nearing the second weekend of the new year, I am going to keep your resolutions going. I made a healthy muffin with oatmeal, no butter or oil, flax meal, and even whole wheat flour. I added some chocolate, because life is just better with chocolate.
There are lots of oatmeal muffins out there, so I had to come up with my own. I decided to add some flax meal, for added nutrition. I am kind of obsessed with the stuff lately. I put it in smoothies all the time too. It doesn’t change the taste, but adds fiber, protein, and omega-3’s. It is great to add to quick breads, and all sorts of other baked goods.
My 7 year old was a big fan of these. He liked them warmed up, so the chocolate was all gooey and melty. And I found that if you put a tiny bit of butter on them, they were over the top good! There is lots of good stuff in them, so a little sliver of butter isn’t too out of the question, right?
Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
A healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Milk, Divided Use
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/3 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cups Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cups Flax Meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup oats, and 1/2 cup of milk. Let the oats soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add applesauce and vanilla, mixing well. Mix in flours, soaked oats, flax meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Best served warm.
- Store in an airtight container. Can easily be frozen.