This easy Blackened Chicken recipes comes together in just minutes, and is loaded with flavor! Such an easy dinner you can make any night of the week, and even great for meal prep!
I love a dinner that comes together in no time, is something you can make with ingredients you already have in the house, and is super versatile that it goes with just about anything! This Blackened Chicken is just that. Chicken breasts, olive oil, and a quick homemade blackened seasoning is all it takes. You can use for meal prep for the week, serve with a Side Salad for dinner or throw in a Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap for a delicious lunch.
Why You’ll Love This Blackened Chicken
- Fast – the spice mixture takes about 2 minutes to make, and then you just have to cook the chicken. Lots of different ways you can cook it, but any method makes for a quick and easy dinner.
- Easy – there are no special ingredients used, just spices you probably have on hand already. You can even mix up a big batch, and store in the pantry for months!
- Versatile – You can change the amount of spices in this recipe to cut back on salt or cayenne, plus the chicken goes with anything. So it is great for any night of the week.
- Flavorful – this is loaded with spices, so it has tons of flavor. You can even control the heat by adjusting the amount of cayenne used in the recipe. So you can have all the flavor, but not the heat if that is your thing.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Oregano
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
How To Make Blackened Chicken
- Make Spice Blend – In a small bowl mix together the spices until well combined. You can make a large batch of this and store in the pantry for future use as well.
- Season Chicken – Brush both sides of the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle the blackened seasoning over the chicken. Gently rub into the chicken until they are well coated.
- Cook – Drizzle the remaining oil into a skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 7-8 minutes per side, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches a temperature of 165º F.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Make extra blackened seasoning. It is just as easy to measure out all the ingredients for 1 use as it is to double, triple or even quadruple the recipe. So go crazy, and make extra of the seasoning. Store in an airtight container for 6-12 months (depends on the age of your spices when you start, but they won’t go bad, they just lose some flavor).
- Use thinly sliced chicken. The average chicken breast from the store seems to be close to a pound these days. So I like to at least butterfly them (cut them in half lengthwise), so that I get 2 thinly sliced pieces of chicken from each breast. This also means the chicken will cook faster and more evenly.
- Adjust the spice. This version only has 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, so it is mild to medium heat level in my opinion. If you like it hotter, use a little more. If you like it more mild, use less. The same with the salt. This only has 1/2 teaspoon, but if you are trying to watch your sodium you could leave it out.
Yes, absolutely that would work very well. Seasoning the chicken as the recipe calls for, then follow my Air Fryer Chicken Breast recipe for how to cook it. But it is a great way to keep your chicken super tender and moist.
Yes you can put the chicken in an oven safe dish and cook at 400º F for about 20 minutes, it will greatly depend on the size of your chicken. So check to see that your internal temperature is 165º to know when it is really done.
How To Serve Blackened Chicken
This is one of those dishes that you can really serve however you like, it will go with just about anything.
It is great to make ahead for meal prep as well. It works great to dice up and then use in Chicken Salad or in a Chicken Quesadilla during the week. You can even freeze the cooked chicken for up to 3 months in an airtight container.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Santa Fe Chicken
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- Fiesta Chicken Casserole
- Air Fryer Chicken Sandwich
- Crunchy Southwestern Chicken Wrap
- Slow Cooker Chicken Drumsticks
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl mix together all of the spices until well blended.
- Brush 1 Tablespoon of oil evenly over both sides of the chicken. Sprinkle over the spice mixture, and gently rub it over the chicken to evenly coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil, swirling to coat. Once the oil is hot add the chicken. Cook for 7-8 minutes per side, until the internal temperature reaches 165º F. I could take more or less time depending on the size of your chicken, so be sure to check the temperature.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
Make extra blackened seasoning and store in your pantry for 6-12 months.
Amount Per Serving Calories 265Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 102mgSodium 355mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 0gProtein 38g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!