Mini Tostadas – These are the perfect Mexican appetizer. One bite loaded with beans, tender juicy chicken, cheese, and Pico de Gallo. Great for parties, game day, or just because!
Mexican food will always be one of my favorites. There is just something about the spices and the combination that I love. Chicken Tostadas are one of my go-to dinners for busy nights, and my family absolutely loves them. So I decided to turn them into an appetizer.
Let’s face it sometimes tostada shells can be hard to find, or when you do they are broken. These mini tostadas just use a bag of tortilla chips, so it is quick and and easy with stuff you probably have on hand already.
What You’ll Need
- Tortilla Chips – I like to use the round ones, but any shape works, you are just stacking ingredients on top.
- Refried Beans
- Taco Seasoning
- Pico de Gallo
You really can go crazy with the toppings and how you make these. These Shrimp Tostadas have a layer of guacamole on the bottom, which you could do in place of the beans. Or you could put some on top. Add a little sour cream, jalapeno, black olives….whatever your heart desires.
You can also use regular taco meat instead of chicken. This is very customizable for what you are craving.
How To Make Mini Tostadas
- The first thing you need to do is make your meat. If you are following this chicken version, I like to make the chicken in the instant pot, so it gets tender and perfectly shredable. Add chicken, taco seasoning, salsa and water to the pressure cooker and cook for 14 minutes. Quick release and then shred the chicken.
- While the chicken is cooking heat up your beans. You want them nice and warm, so they spread without breaking the chips.
- Arrange tortilla chips onto a platter. Spread about 1 tablespoon of beans onto each chip. Top with chicken, a little bit of cheese, and then pico de gallo or salsa.
- These are best served immediately.
Don’t worry if you don’t have a packet of taco seasoning, this Homemade Taco Seasoning is super easy to make and you can have it ready in 2 minutes while you prep everything else.
- You can easily make the meat ahead of time and just reheat when you are ready to assemble. These are great to have all the parts ready ahead of time if you are having a party. And then at the last minute you can assemble.
- Be sure the beans are nice and hot or they will break the chips when you spread it on there. If you use the “scoops” chips you can put just a little spoonful in the bottom and that works great as well.
- Mix up the meat and toppings to whatever you are in the mood for. My family loves the salsa chicken, so I use it a lot for Instant Pot Chicken Tacos and other recipes. But use ground beef, ground turkey or whatever your favorite is.
- There is a recipe for homemade pico de gallo included in the recipe card, but you can use a shortcut and just use diced tomatoes, store bought pico or even just salsa.
- If you aren’t a fan of beans, use Guacamole instead as the base. It is a toss up which one we like better.
More Delicious Mexican Recipes
- Instant Pot Pozole
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Potato Tacos
- Crunchwrap Supreme
- Sour Cream Enchiladas
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Wet Burrito
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 24 round tortilla chips
- 1 (15 oz) can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Pico de Gallo
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- Pour water into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken and season with taco seasoning.
- Pour salsa over chicken and mix to make sure some of the salsa is under the chicken to prevent burning.
- Set Instant Pot to cook under high pressure for 12 minutes if using fresh or defrosted chicken and 17 minutes if using frozen chicken breasts.
- Quick release pressure and remove lid once it is unlocked. Use 2 forks to shred the chicken. Add chicken back to the pot and mix well with the salsa.
- Meanwhile make pico de gallo by mixing all of the ingredients together. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Heat refried beans in a microwave safe bowl or on the stovetop.
- Arrange tortilla chips on a platter. Spread about 1 tablespoon of refried beans on each chip. Top with chicken, cheddar cheese and pico de gallo.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 82Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 21mgSodium 275mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 8g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!