A few weeks ago Hurricane Sandy devastated the East coast. Millions were left without power, countless homes were destroyed and close to 200 people lost their lives. They are estimating at least $20 billion in damage. I live in Colorado, so I was fortunate enough not to be directly affect. But so many people were, and so much help is needed to rebuild. Today the #SundaySupper team is getting together to make “Dishes for Friends in Need”. Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake is hosting this wonderful event.
I am originally from the Mid West, and when you need to bring a dish to a friend, you bring a casserole. So that is what I made. This is an updated version of the casseroles we had as kids. Spicy, cheesey, full of carbs, and super comforting. It makes a ton too, and the leftovers are just as good.
If you are looking for ways to help, money is always good. Organizations can buy so much more than you or I can. Consider looking into these organizations who are doing great work on the hurricane relief.
- 1 pound chicken , diced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 oz cream cheese (I used fat free)
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 can (10 oz.) enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese , shredded
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 12 ounces egg noodles
- cilantro , optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot, bring water to boil and cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken. Add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated in the spices. Stir in the cream cheese until it is melted.
- In a bowl combine Greek yogurt, enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup the monterey jack cheese, corn, green chiles, salt and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Pour mixture over the chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Add the drained and cooked pasta, stirring to combine. Pour everything into a large casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with cilantro if desired.
Recipe from Table for Two
Amount Per ServingCalories 452 Total Fat 26g Saturated Fat 11g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 129mg Sodium 580mg Carbohydrates 25g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 4g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 31g