Grasshopper Cupcakes – a rich and chocolate-y cupcake topped with a cool mint butter cream frosting!
December is flying by! It is hard to believe that we are only 2 weeks away from Christmas. The weather here in Colorado has been in the 50’s, so it is hard to realize it is actually December. Don’t get me wrong, I am loving this weather, and would not change it for anything! Going for walks outside in December is perfect in my opinion. Come March when we are freezing cold and have lots of snow, I will be wishing we had these nice days.
Cupcakes are not traditionally a Christmas treat. At least in my family. But I think that might need to change. Grasshopper Pie is something that we serve every Christmas, so why not turn that into something else. I am a huge fan of chocolate and mint in almost any form. My son actually asked for these grasshopper cupcakes. We were having a party for his Lego team, and I said I would make cupcakes. He asked if I could come up with a grasshopper version to bring. I have to say, I am honestly surprised, but the entire group of 4th graders were all over these. For some reason, I wasn’t sure that mint was really a kid flavor, but they loved them!
My son is not a huge fan of cake. He has it in his head that chocolate cake especially, is dry and not very chocolate-y. I was not sure that he had ever had actual homemade, real chocolate cake before. So I set out to prove him wrong. I was super excited when my son loved these grasshopper cupcakes. I completely changed his mind on chocolate cake, and I can’t wait to be able to enjoy it more often! Topped with this minty butter cream frosting is perfect for the holidays!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter, , softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup milk, (approximately)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tins with liners.
- In a large bowl mix together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In an electric mixer combine eggs, oil, vanilla and milk. Mix until well combined. Slowly add flour mixture. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add boiling water. Batter will be very thin.
- Scoop batter into prepare muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let cool for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the frosting. The the bowl of an electric mixer combine all of the ingredients. Beat until light and fluffy. Add more milk or sugar if necessry.
Cupcake Recipe from Hershey
Amount Per Serving Calories 257Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 30mgSodium 226mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 1gSugar 31gProtein 2g