Grasshopper Pie – A light and creamy pie. Chocolate cookie crust, with a creamy mint filling. Super easy no bake pie that is great for the holidays.
The focus of the holidays is usually all about the cookies. Frosted Sugar Cookies are a must every year, no matter what. But sometimes you need more than just cookies, right? And anything with mint is always a hit this time of year. If you really want to impress these Grasshopper Cupcakes are such a great treat.
At our house, this grasshopper pie is the traditional dessert every Christmas. It is the dessert that my mother-in-law makes every single year, and we all look forward to it.
What Is Grasshopper Pie Made Of?
This is such a simple no bake recipe that has been around for generations. It starts with a chocolate cookie crust that is filled with a mixture of marshmallows, heavy cream, Creme de Menthe and a little bit of milk.
Chocolate and mint is a classic combination, and this pie is so light and airy it is perfect after your big holiday meal.
Why Is It Called Grasshopper Pie
It is called grasshopper pie because of the color. The creme de menthe in the recipe gives it that gorgeous green color, which is where the name comes from.
How To Make Grasshopper Pie
- Mix together the wafer cookies and the melted butter until everything is well coated. Press into a pie plate to form the crust.
- To make the filling you just melt the marshmallows and milk together. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- While that is cooling whip heavy cream to stiff peaks.
- Then you fold together the cooled marshmallow mixture, whipped cream, and the creme de menthe. Fold until there are no more white streaks.
- Pour into the crust and then I like to sprinkle with a few more of the cookie crumbs.
- You need to let it set in the fridge for at least 1 hour prior to serving.
Traditionally my mother-in-law always makes this with Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafer Cookies. I can not always find those in my store, so I have change to use Oreo cookies for the crust. If you can find chocolate wafer cookies, they were even better! They make a slightly softer crust.
This grasshopper pie is best if you make it ahead of time. It needs to set in the fridge for at least an hour, but I think a day is better. It is so light and airy, it is great after you have a big meal like Prime Rib or the classic Roasted Turkey you serve on the holidays. You want to serve something sweet, but not something heavy and rich.
So if you are looking for something other than just your average Molasses Cookies for Christmas, try this grasshopper pie. It takes just minutes to make and you will not be disappointed.
More Delicious Mint Dessert Recipes
- Andes Mint Cake Mix Cookies
- Grasshopper Brownies
- Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- No Bake Mint Chocolate Chip Pie
- Mint Chocolate Poke Cake
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 20 Oreo Thins, crushed or other chocolate wafer cookies
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Pie Filling
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp Creme de Menthe
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Optional Garnish
- Extra crushed Oreo cookies
- Mix together the wafer cookies and the melted butter. Press into a pie plate to form the crust.
- To make the filling melt the marshmallows and milk together. Allow to cool. Meanwhile whip heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold together cooled marshmallow mixture, whipped cream, and the creme de menthe. Pour into the crust. Sprinkle with additional chocolate wafer crumbs if desired.
- Let set in the fridge for at least 1 hour prior to serving. Store covered in fridge.
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 403Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 13gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 50mgSodium 209mgCarbohydrates 45gFiber 1gSugar 28gProtein 3g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!