I love peppermint this time of year, but since I shared Mint Chocolate Pudding Cookies yesterday, I wanted to go a little different today. So I did a drink! I am not a coffee drinker, but I do like going to Starbucks for one thing. Their Peppermint Hot Chocolate is amazing! I am sure it is full of whole milk, and full fat whipped cream, but I made something pretty darn close with a lot less calories at home!
Hot Chocolate from scratch is so easy, and tastes so much better than those instant packets. All you have to do is heat some milk over a low heat, throw in some chocolate to let it melt. Stir in a little sugar, and in this case peppermint, and you are done. You don’t even have to stand over it, stirring the whole time!
I made this while my son was at school, but made sure to save him some for a snack. He was thrilled. He loves hot chocolate, and was very happy with this version. Plus he got a candy cane out of it, so how could I go wrong 🙂 This would be great to have around for the holidays. Make this, dump it in the crock pot to keep it warm, and you have a great party drink. You could even swap out the peppermint extract for a peppermint liquor for the grown ups!
This isn’t my only post today! I am also making Peanut Butter Cup Blossom Cookies as part of #25recipestoXmas. I hope you will check them out, they are kind of over the top and delicious!
Make sure you visit all the participating bloggers today to see what special dish they whipped up for you.
- Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies from Jen of Juanita’s Cocina
- Candy Cane Blossoms from Liz of That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Candy Cane Cocoa in a Jar from Anuradha of Baker Street
- Peppermint Brownie Trifle from Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Candy Cane Mocha from Isabelle of Crumb
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate from Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- White Chocolate Peppermint Covered Pretzels from Erin of Spiffy Cookie
- Peppermint Fudge from Heather of Girlichef
- Minty Brownie Bites from Cathy of The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Candy Cane Oreo Cheesecake Cookies from Chung-Ah of Damn Delicious
- 2 cups milk, (I used skim)
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Optional Garnish
- Whipped Cream, , Marshmallow, Candy Canes
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add milk and chocolate. Heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sugar and peppermint extract until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into cups, and top with desired garnish
Amount Per ServingCalories 558 Total Fat 35g Saturated Fat 22g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 23mg Sodium 147mg Carbohydrates 43g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 9g Sugar 12g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 17g