Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe – a creamy hot chocolate recipe with a hint of peppermint that is perfect for the holidays and chilly days!
On a cold day warming up with a cup of hot chocolate is the best! It may have been half the reason I like to play outside in t snow when I was a kid. As soon as we came in, there always always a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows ready for us.
Now as an adult I sometimes like to make a grown up version like this spiked Kahlua Hot Chocolate. But this peppermint version is way up there as well. Peppermint and chocolate is just a perfect pairing.
When I was a kid we always used those hot chocolate packets. But seriously, there is nothing better than a creamy cup of homemade hot chocolate. And it only takes about 5 minutes to make, so there are no excuses! Just a little bit of peppermint extract is what gives it the flavor. A little Peppermint Schnapps would make for a delicious grown up version!
Homemade hot chocolate is so much easier to make than you think, and so much better than the little packets! This peppermint hot chocolate recipe just have a few simple ingredients and you will be in heaven in no time!
What Do You Need
- Milk. Really whatever kind you like works. The more fat in the milk, the thicker and creamier your hot chocolate will be.
- Chocolate. I like to use bittersweet chocolate in bar form so it melts nice and smoothly.
- Sugar. Obviously you will want to sweeten it some when using bittersweet chocolate. If you like yours darker, you can use less than called for in the recipe.
- Peppermint Extract. A little goes a long way, but this is what gives it that delicious peppermint flavor.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- This is such a simple recipe that all starts with milk. You can use skim milk if you want a lighter version. It will obviously be less creamy. Whole milk is my favorite for hot chocolate, because you get the thick and rich taste. If you want to go all out, try this French Hot Chocolate that is pretty much just like drinking melted chocolate!
- Melt the chocolate and milk together, be careful not to heat too quickly. You don’t wan to scorch or burn the milk. So a medium heat works great.
- After the chocolate is melted mix in the sugar and extract. You just need the sugar to completely dissolve and you are done!
- Super easy, just 5 minutes and you are ready to drink. You can double, triple, or make even more of this peppermint hot chocolate recipe if you are feeding a crowd.
Can you Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Ahead Time
Yes, you definitely can make this up to a couple days before you are ready to serve it. I just leave out the extract until I am ready to serve. I think the the peppermint flavor tends to fade away as it sits. So once you get the sugar completely dissolved you can cool and then store in the fridge. Just warm in a saucepan and stir in the extract when you are ready to serve. Or reheat in the crock pot if you are serving it for a big group.
How To Serve Hot Chocolate
Having a hot chocolate bar with the hot chocolate in the crock pot and then have all of the toppings out for people to make their own!
- Whipped Cream
- Peppermint Candies
It makes for such a fun idea if you are having a holiday party! And don’t missed my favorite Holiday Cocktails for a round up of lots of different grown up drink options as well.
More Fun Holiday Drinks
- Cranberry Mimosa – a fun drink that is great for brunch
- Christmas Sangria – a great drink if you are feeding a crowd
- Spiked Hot Apple Cider – a warm drink that is great for cold months
- Warm Vanilla Cider – for both the kids and adults
- Toasted White Chocolate Mocha – a Starbucks copycat
- Pumpkin Hot Chocolate – pumpkin and chocolate go perfectly together.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Optional Garnish
- Whipped Cream, , Marshmallow, Candy Canes
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add milk and chocolate. Heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sugar and peppermint extract until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into cups, and top with desired garnish
Amount Per Serving Calories 558Total Fat 35gSaturated Fat 22gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 23mgSodium 147mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 9gSugar 12gProtein 17g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!