Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe – a creamy hot chocolate recipe with a hint of peppermint that is perfect for the holidays and chilly days!
On a cold day warming up with a cup of hot chocolate is the best! It may have been half the reason I like to play outside in t snow when I was a kid. As soon as we came in, there always always a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows ready for us.
Now as an adult I sometimes like to make a grown up version like this spiked Kahlua Hot Chocolate. But this peppermint version is way up there as well. Peppermint and chocolate is just a perfect pairing.
When I was a kid we always used those hot chocolate packets. But seriously, there is nothing better than a creamy cup of homemade hot chocolate. And it only takes about 5 minutes to make, so there are no excuses! Just a little bit of peppermint extract is what gives it the flavor. You could use another extract if you wanted or even a peppermint liqueur if you wanted to make a grown up version.
Topping this peppermint hot chocolate with whipped cream is completely optional. But in my opinion it is required. You can make homemade if you want to go all out, but the kind in the can or even if you have Cool Whip on hand, that works too. Or you can top with a bunch of mini marshmallows if that is what you have. I like to garnish with crunch candy canes if I have them, as they melt and give it even more peppermint flavor.
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- This is such a simple recipe that all starts with milk. You can use skim milk if you want a lighter version. It will obviously be less creamy. Whole milk is my favorite for hot chocolate, because you get the thick and rich taste. If you want to go all out, try this French Hot Chocolate that is pretty much just like drinking melted chocolate!
- Melt the chocolate and milk together, be careful not to heat too quickly. You don’t wan to scorch or burn the milk. So a medium heat works great.
- After the chocolate is melted mix in the sugar and extract. You just need the sugar to completely dissolve and you are done!
- Super easy, just 5 minutes and you are ready to drink. You can double, triple, or make even more of this peppermint hot chocolate recipe if you are feeding a crowd.
Can you Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Ahead Time
Yes, you definitely can make this up to a couple days before you are ready to serve it. I just leave out the extract until I am ready to serve. I think the the peppermint flavor tends to fade away as it sits. So once you get the sugar completely dissolved you can cool and then store in the fridge. Just warm in a saucepan and stir in the extract when you are ready to serve. Or reheat in the crock pot if you are serving it for a big group.
Having a hot chocolate bar with the hot chocolate in the crock pot and then have marshmallows, whipped cream, and a few different peppermint candies people can top with. It would make for a fun idea if you are having a holiday party! And don’t missed my favorite Holiday Cocktails for a round up of lots of different options.
More Fun Holiday Drinks
- Cranberry Mimosa – a fun drink that is great for brunch
- Christmas Sangria – a great drink if you are feeding a crowd
- Spiked Hot Apple Cider – a warm drink that is great for cold months
- Warm Vanilla Cider – for both the kids and adults
- Toasted White Chocolate Mocha – a Starbucks copycat
- Pumpkin Hot Chocolate – pumpkin and chocolate go perfectly together.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Optional Garnish
- Whipped Cream, , Marshmallow, Candy Canes
- In a small sauce pan over low heat, add milk and chocolate. Heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the sugar and peppermint extract until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour into cups, and top with desired garnish
Amount Per ServingCalories 558 Total Fat 35g Saturated Fat 22g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 12g Cholesterol 23mg Sodium 147mg Carbohydrates 43g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 9g Sugar 12g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 17g