Make Halloween Muddy Buddies for your fall party! Classic muddy buddies or puppy chow dressed up and made for Halloween!
Muddy Buddies are a fun and classic treat that have been around forever. When I grew up it was called Puppy Chow by the Crispix brand of cereal that served it. Then Chex came out with their version and they called it Muddy Buddies. Over the years Chex seems to have won out, and they are now commonly referred to as Muddy Buddies by almost everyone. And this is a fun Halloween version using fall colors and candy….because Halloween calls for candy!
Why You’ll Love These Halloween Muddy Buddies
- Easy – no baking required, just melting chocolate and peanut butter together. So it is ready in about 10 minutes from start to finish.
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter – I feel like that is enough of a reason for anything. One of the best combos ever!
- Fun – this is always a fun snack, but when you add in the Halloween twists, it is super fun for fall parties and Halloween get togethers.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Chex Cereal – I like Rice or Corn Chex for this recipe
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
- Reese’s Pieces
- Mini Peanut Butter Cups
- Candy Eyes
You will see that I don’t follow the recipe on the box. I like to up the chocolate and peanut butter to give it more of those little bits that clump together. And it just makes it better! Check out my Amped Up Puppy Chow for the classic version I make.
How to Make Halloween Muddy Buddies
- Melt. In a large bowl add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter cubes. Heat for 1 minute in the microwave. Stir and heat for 20 second intervals until it is completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Mix. Add the cereal and the melted chocolate together until everything is very well coated.
- Toss Together. Add about half of the cereal mixture to a gallon sized plastic bag, add half of the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and toss until the pieces are all coated. Pour onto a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the cereal and sugar.
- Set Up. Let the cereal mixture set up for about an hour for the chocolate to harden. Add in the candies and toss together.
What Candy Can I Mix In
I like to stick with orange, brown and yellow so it works with the fall/Halloween theme. But you really could use whatever you like.
- Reese’s Pieces
- Candy Eyes – these just make it fun. You can find Wilton Candy Eyes on Amazon, at Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, Walmart and lots of grocery stores with the cake decorating stuff.
- Candy Corn
- Harvest Candy Pumpkins
- Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Fall M&M’s
Store your muddy buddies in an airtight container for 2-3 days. They will lose their crunch after a couple of days. You can store in the fridge to extend the life up to about 5 days. I like to let it come to room temperature before serving.
Lots of people actually freeze their muddy buddies as well! I think the texture changes a little after freezing, but it is still delicious. You can also very easily cut the recipe in half if you wanted to avoid lots of leftovers.
More Fun Halloween Treats
- Ghost Cupcakes
- Halloween Jello Shots
- Spooky Spider Brownies
- Frankenstein Marshmallow Pops
- Witches Brew
- Monster Juice
- Mummy Granola Bars
- 12 oz Chex Cereal
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup Reese's Pieces
- 1 cup mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
- Candy Eyes
- In a large bowl add the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter cubes. Heat for 1 minute in the microwave. Stir and heat for 20 second intervals until it is completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract
- Add the cereal to the melted chocolate together until everything is very well coated.
- Add about half of the cereal mixture to a gallon sized plastic bag, add half of the powdered sugar. Seal the bag and toss until the pieces are all coated. Pour onto a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the cereal and sugar.
- Let the cereal mixture set up for about an hour for the chocolate to harden. Add in the candies and toss together.
Amount Per Serving Calories 355Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 6mgSodium 206mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 3gSugar 32gProtein 7g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!