This week is supposed to finally start cooling down here in Colorado. Most of September was in the mid to upper 80’s around here. We did have a few days where it got pretty chilly, but the last couple weeks we have had to turn our air conditioner back on. I have to admit, I am ready for the cooler weather. I want to make soup and fresh bread, and not have to sweat while I am eating it 🙂 And somehow is just feels a little wrong to be breaking out the pumpkin when it is 80 degrees. I do not know how you warm weather year round people do it! I love my seasons.
Anything with peanut butter is always a hit in this house. Whether it is dessert or dinner, everyone is always a fan. These Peanut Noodles are one of our favorites, and requested by all. So it was only a matter of time before I decided to mix it up a little. Instead of noodles, I decided to use rice. I almost always use shrimp with the peanut noodles, so I figured it was time to give chicken its day as well. Some people still turn up their nose at the idea of peanut butter with chicken or another protein in a savory way, but trust me, it is so good!! It blends with the soy sauce, garlic and ginger and just becomes a creamy and flavorful sauce. I am pretty sure my dad, who doesn’t like peanut butter, would eat this and not even know that he was eating something he didn’t like. So trust me, and add it to your menu this week!
Peanut Chicken is a quick dinner to throw together. In about 20 minutes dinner is done. I have a rice cooker, which cooks rice perfectly every time. It is great because I can start it, and it stays warm and fresh inside the cooker, until I am ready to use it. So I don’t have to time it perfectly. You definitely do not need a rice cooker, but if you have space in your kitchen, it is one of those things I am so glad I have. Cooking on the stove is not going to change anything about how great this peanut chicken is. The rice will still soak up all of that delicious sauce. And a bonus is the leftovers were great for lunch the next day!
- 1 pound boneless, , skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, , diced
- 1 cup of carrots, , shredded
- Cooked rice
- Peanuts, , chopped
- Cilantro, (optional garnish)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbls sesame oil
- 2 tsp chile garlic paste
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, , grated
- 1 lime, , juiced
- In a large skillet heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pan, and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add bell peppers to the pan. Cook until the chicken is cook through and the peppers are starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, in a 2 cup measuring cup, whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Pour over the cooked chicken. Heat to a simmer, stirring frequently. Stir in carrots, and remove from the heat.
- Serve over rice topped with chopped peanuts and cilantro if desired.
Amount Per ServingCalories 635Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 96mgSodium 1263mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 47g