Peanut Chicken – Quick and easy dinner of chicken in a peanut sauce, served over rice and topped with peanuts. Great for the whole family any night of the week.
Chicken satay is a classic grilled chicken appetizer that you dip in a peanut butter sauce. I know it sounds a little strange to have peanut butter with chicken, but once you mix in the soy sauce, ginger, and all of the other ingredients it all just works together.
This Peanut Chicken is served over rice and on the table in about 20 minutes, which makes it perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
What Is Peanut Sauce
Peanut sauce can go by a few names but satay sauce is the most common in the US. It is based out of Indonesia made from roasted peanuts. It is becoming more and more common around the world.
This Chicken Satay Stir Fry takes a classic satay sauce and turns it into a whole stir fry dinner. So if you are familiar with chicken satay from restaurants, don’t miss that!
What’s In Peanut Sauce
- Coconut Milk
- Peanut Butter
- Soy Sauce
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Sesame Oil
- Chili Garlic Paste
- Lime Juice
Best Stir Fry Vegetables
In this peanut chicken stir fry I used carrots and red bell pepper, but there are lots of other options! Really anything your family enjoys works here.
- Bell Peppers
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Water Chestnuts
- Bok Choy
- Baby Corn
How To Make Peanut Chicken
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper and then brown in a skillet with oil for 4-5 minutes.
- Add your vegetables to the pain and cook for 4-5 more minutes until the vegetables are starting to soften and the chicken is mostly cooked.
- In a liquid measuring cup mix together everything for the sauce, whisk until it is smooth.
- Pour sauce over chicken and bring to a simmer. Cook for just a couple minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Serve over rice and top with chopped peanuts and cilantro if desired.
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice is the perfect thing to serve this with. It will cook while the chicken cooks and dinner will be on the table in about 20 minutes!
- If you are in a hurry and don’t feel like chopping a bunch of vegetables, a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies would make a great quick and easy swap.
- Leftover chicken? Throw it in! Skip the steps of cooking the chicken and just reheat the chicken while the veggies are cooking and dinner is done even faster! Would work well with rotisserie chicken as well.
- If you are trying to go low carb, cauliflower rice goes really well with this. The sauce if flavorful enough your family probably won’t even know!
- Make it vegetarian by using tofu in place of the chicken.
Peanut Chicken Leftovers are great in the fridge for a few days. Just store in an air tight container and you have lunch for the next day!
More Delicious Asian Recipes
- Stir Fry Noodles
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- Cashew Chicken
- Crispy Sesame Chicken
- Kung Pao Chicken
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Thai Green Curry Chicken
- 1 pound boneless, , skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of carrots, shredded
- Cooked rice
- Peanuts, , chopped
- Cilantro, (optional garnish)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp chili garlic paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 1 lime, juiced
- In a large skillet heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add to the pan, and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Add bell peppers to the pan. Cook until the chicken is cook through and the peppers are starting to soften.
- Meanwhile, in a 2 cup measuring cup, whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Pour over the cooked chicken. Heat to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Stir in carrots, and remove from the heat.
- Serve over rice topped with chopped peanuts and cilantro if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 635Total Fat 39gSaturated Fat 16gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 96mgSodium 1263mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 47g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!