Yesterday was a busy day! I found out that I get to travel to NYC as a winner of a contest. I am super excited, as I have always wanted to go to NYC. It is during the week, in just a couple weeks time. So yesterday was spent trying to organize child care for my 8 year old. I work from home, so I am always able to get him to and from school each day. Luckily, I had a great friend who is willing to help out for the 3 days I am gone. Then I am gone the next week for a conference, and my son doesn’t have school. We found cheap flights, and my mom is going to fly here to help out. So nice to be surrounded by such wonderful people!
Needless to say, with all the scrambling yesterday there wasn’t much thought put into snacks or even lunch. Days like that I am happy to have quick and healthy snacks around that I can just grab and not think too much about. I know I am getting something that will fill me up, that isn’t just junk. I have done quite a few homemade granola and energy bars here on the blog before. This one is even more packed full of good for you ingredients; oats, quinoa, pistachios, agave, almond butter and more.
These energy bars are pretty quick to make. You bake the oats and quinoa for a few minutes, and then just mix everything together and bake again. In about 30 minutes, you can have snacks on hand for the whole week. Plus you can change up the combinations so you don’t get bored. Use peanut butter, peanuts and raisins one time. Or try almonds instead of pistachios.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries, , chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios, , chopped
- 2 Tbls flaxseed meal
- 1 oz mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 6 Tbls agave nectar, (honey would work too)
- 1 Tbls coconut oil, (or a vegetable oil)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a baking sheet, spread oats and quinoa in a single layer. Bake for 8 minutes or until just starting to turn brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a large bowl mix together oat mixture, cranberries, pistachios, flaxseed meal, and chocolate.
- In a small saucepan combine almond butter, agave, coconut oil, and salt. Heat over medium. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour over oat mixture, stirring until everything is well coated.
- Press firmly into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 13 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per ServingCalories 174Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 55mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 3gSugar 9gProtein 5g