You are in store for a treat today! Megan from Wanna Be A Country Cleaver is here! I get to give Megan a big hug in real life in May, I can’t wait! If you aren’t familiar with Country Cleaver you are missing out on tasty recipes, and stunning photography. A few of my favorites are her S’mores Graham Krispie Treats, Samoas Brownie Parfait with Salted Caramel Sauce, and White Chicken Enchiladas.
Ever since Erin left for Japan I have had the “Turning Japanese” song stuck in my head and dancing to it at my desk at work has earned me some really weird looks along the way… But I know for a fact that Erin is going to be having the best time. I was an exchange student in Japan and had the most wonderful time meeting so many kind and generous people and experiencing a culture that balances the past and their deep rooted traditions with all the hype and movement of the future. It’s a place to behold and I know she is going to remember it for years to come. But while she’s away, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite recipes from my site, Country Cleaver.
These Quick Cream Cheese Danishes are every bit as great as the original but you can make them at home in a snap. I adore these danishes because the puff pastry is light and flaky and doesn’t feel weighed down by excessive amounts of butter that store bought danishes have. The cream cheese is the word offender to your waistline in these, but subbing neufatchel cheese will cut the fat and the guilt you might feel. These are perfect for your Saturday morning coffee or well just because.
So Erin, have a great time in Japan. Take it all in and relish it. We can’t wait to hear all about it when you get back!
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry dough , thawed
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese , softened
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Egg + 2 Tablespoons water , whisked for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out thawed puff pastry into a 12x9" rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise, yielding 2 4-1/2" strips. Cut those two strips crosswise into thirds, to yield six 4x4 1/2" pieces.
- With a knife, score 1/2" border around the edge of each piece of puff pastry. Use a fork to make five or six pricks into the dough within the border of each piece. This will help keep the middle of each piece from rising.
- In a bowl, stir together softened cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest. Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture into the middle of each piece of dough and spread around evenly, ensuring the mix stays within the borders. Brush evenly with the whisked egg wash.
- Bake for 20 minutes, on the middle rack and rotate the baking sheet half way through baking. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a
Amount Per Serving Calories 387Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 100mgSodium 311mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 1gSugar 10gProtein 6g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Thanks Megan for being here today!! Can’t wait to see you in May!