Sweet and crispy roasted corn gives a unique twist to an avocado salsa
Happy Friday! Are you ready for the weekend? We had a fun day yesterday going to the Colorado Rockies game. My husband’s work had tickets for employees and their families to go to the game. They chose 6 people to represent his company and go on the field before the game. My husband was one of the people chosen, and he got to take our 8 year old with him. Talk about one happy kid!!
A few weeks ago we went to the library and the cookbook Simply Mexican caught my eye. I picked it up, and I have fallen in love. I have so many recipes bookmarked. This Roasted Corn & Avocado Salsa was meant to be a garnish on top of a corn soup, but I thought it sounded so good, I just wanted to eat it with chips, or on tacos.
Have you ever tried roasting corn before? I love roasted vegetables, but never thought of doing it with corn. It gets crispy, and sweet, and it is down right addicting. Don’t worry about your corn turning golden brown, that is what you want. The darker (not black) the better! Now that fresh corn is in season, this is the perfect recipe to make for taco night, or your weekend barbeque.
- 3 ears fresh corn kernels, , or about 2 cups
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup red onion, , chopped
- 3 Tbls cilantro, , chopped
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 small jalapeno, , finely chopped
- 2 avocado, , peeled and diced
- 1 roma tomato, , diced
- Preheat oven for 450 degrees.
- Toss corn with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place corn on a baking sheet, spreading in a single layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until corn starts to turn golden brown.
- In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Add roasted corn, stirring to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Slightly adapted from Simply Mexican
Serving Size8 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 137 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 42mg Carbohydrates 13g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 5g Sugar 3g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 2g