Spiced Mulled Wine – a winter favorite! Warm spices with a hint of orange make for a great holiday drink.
Do you have a favorite drink when the weather gets cold? A Kahlua Hot Chocolate is a great warm and cozy drink I like to help warm up on a chilly night! Normally I am a wine drinker when it comes to cocktail time, so a mulled wine recipe is exactly what I want for a winter party.
A friend first turned me onto mulled wine probably 15 years ago. The warm spices with the bold red wine is such a warm and comforting combination. Completely different than a Red Wine Spritzer that is a cool and refreshing way to enjoy wine.
What is Mulled Wine
Mulled wine is a drink that is normally made with red wine. It is infused with spices and served hot or warm. It is a traditional drink that is usually served around Christmas time and in the cold winter months. It is great to warm in the crock pot. The spices infuse the wine, and it sits there hot and waiting for you!
How to Make Mulled Wine
You want to make sure that your spices aren’t just floating in your mulled wine, or it won’t be pleasant to drink. A cheese cloth works best to make sure this doesn’t happen. You put all the spices in the cloth, and then tie it up and let it sit in the wine. It helps infuse the flavor and you don’t bite down on a peppercorn. This mulled wine recipe uses citrus as well. You dry the oranges out in the oven, and they help give the wine a great citrus scent.
Best Wine for Mulled Wine
Mulled wine is best if you use a full bodied red wine. Something like a Syrah, Malbec or a Merlot. You do not want a light and fruity wine for this. You do not need to buy an expensive bottle, just a wine that you like the flavor of.
The dried oranges are an extra step, but they make it extra special. It will be great for any get together you have in the winter.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Spiced Mulled Wine
Spiced Mulled Wine - a winter favorite! Warm spices with a hint of orange make for a great holiday drink.
- 1 large orange, , cut into thin slices
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 cardamom pods, , lightly crushed
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks, (3 inches long)
- 1/2 vanilla bean, , split lengthwise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 bottles, (750 ml) zinfandel or other dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Arrange orange slices on a wire rack. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 3 hours, or until dried.
- On a double layer of cheesecloth combine peppercorns, cloves, cardamom pods, allspice, cinnamon sticks, and vanilla bean. Gather up the ends of the cheesecloth, and tie shut.
- In a large pan combine orange slices, the spice packet, sugar, orange juice and win. Heat over medium heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the spice packet to serve.
Recipe from Cooking Light
If serving out of slow cooker; after you remove the spice packet pour into a slow cooker and heat on low.
Amount Per Serving Calories 55Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 2mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 1gSugar 8gProtein 0g
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
This is definitely a cozy up and relax kind of drink! Maybe even to enjoy while walking around the neighborhood looking at lights.