Strawberry Almond Cupcakes
Strawberry Almond Cupcakes – doctor up box cake mix and turn them into these moist and fluffy cupcakes. Topped with almond flavored frosting!
Cupcakes just make life better. And sometimes you need to take a little help from the store. I mean homemade cupcakes like these Nutella cupcakes are kind of over the top amazing. But you can doctor up a box mix and get a whole new delicious dessert.
I kind of love almond extract. My favorite chocolate cream cake has almond extra in the cream frosting, and it is one of the main reasons why I love it. So taking my normal vanilla frosting and using almond extract instead seemed like the best idea.
I mean, strawberry and almond are kind of made for each other. The base of these strawberry almond cupcakes is a strawberry cake mix. You can find this at pretty much any grocery store. Then just add a few ingredients to make it even more moist, fluffy and tender than your average cupcake.
Disregard what the directions on the box mix say. You will follow the measurements and the ingredients in the recipe below. While they cupcakes are cooling, you can whip up the frosting. The sweet dense frosting is the perfect pair for the strawberry cupcakes.
My husband is not a fan of chocolate; Creme Brulee is pretty much his all time favorite dessert. So these cupcakes are right up his alley. If you have anyone who loves strawberries, fruity desserts, or anything but chocolate; these are for you!
- 1 box (18.25 oz) Strawberry Cake Mix
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- Combine cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, oil and extracts in a mixing bowl, mix with a whisk attachment on high for 1 minute, until smooth.
- Pour into a prepared muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the tops spring back after being touched.
- Allow cakes to cool on a wire rack before frosting.
- To prepared the frosting - Cream together everything until the desired consistency is reached. You can adjust the milk and sugar to get your desired consistency.
- Top cooked cupcakes with frosting
If you want to pipe the frosting high, like pictured; you may need to double the frosting recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 507 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 56mg Sodium 109mg Carbohydrates 96g Fiber 0g Sugar 93g Protein 2g