Thai Chicken Salad – turn up your salad game with a Thai style chopped salad. Topped with chicken, veggies, and a peanut dressing make for a filling salad.
The weather is finally warming up and feeling like summer here in Colorado. We had a very wet and cold spring. Hard to believe that 10 days ago we had to have the heat on, and today we had to turn the air conditioning on! My son has his first baseball game of the season tonight as well, so it officially feels like summer. They have not had many practices because of the weather, so it could be a very interesting game. I think tomorrow will have to be our first trip to the neighborhood pool as well!
Summer seems to be the time for salads. The weather is nice, so everyone is trying to eat a little better for their time outside. I am all for a salad, but it has to be a good salad. For some reason I am completely drawn to chopped salads. They tend to be easier to eat, no crazy long piece of lettuce hanging off your fork you have to deal with. Plus, everything is chopped up into bite sized pieces, so you can get a little bit of everything in each bite! This Thai chicken salad is my new favorite. The peanut dressing is so creamy and full of flavor.
My family loves Thai flavors, and this chopped salad is not exception. It makes for a great quick lunch or is hearty enough for dinner. The chicken, peanuts, and peanut dressing have plenty of protein to keep you full and not make you feel like you are trying to eat healthier. I used a head of green cabbage and red cabbage for this salad, but if you are looking for a shortcut bagged coleslaw mix will work just as well! You could even use store bought rotisserie chicken to make this Thai chicken salad a super quick weeknight dinner!
- 2 cups chicken, , cooked and cubed
- 1 small head green cabbage, , chopped
- 1 1/2 cup red cabbage, , chopped
- 1 cup carrot, , shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, , chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, , chopped
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tbls rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbls lime juice
- 2 Tbls soy sauce
- 2 Tbls vegetable oil
- 2 Tbls sugar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Combine all of the ingredients for the salad dressing in a blender, and blend until smooth. If you do not have a blender, finely mince the garlic, and whisk everything until smooth. Add 1 Tbls of water if the dressing is too thick.
- Mix together the green cabbage, red cabbage, carrots and cilantro. Divide into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with 1/2 cup of chicken. Toss each bowl with 1-2 Tbls of dressing, adding more if necessary. Sprinkle with peanuts to serve.
If you will not eat all of the salad at one time, do not toss with dressing. Leave separate and store in the fridge until the next day.
Amount Per ServingCalories 467 Total Fat 33g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 23g Cholesterol 63mg Sodium 680mg Carbohydrates 21g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 6g Sugar 8g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 26g