Chinese Chicken Salad – a quick and easy rotisserie chicken salad with an Asian dressing and lots of crunchy delicious mix-ins!
If a restaurant has an Asian chicken salad on the menu, chances are I will pick it. I love the one at Panera and sometimes make a trip there just because the cravings strike. There is just something about Panera Macaroni and Cheese, so it should come as no surprise that this salad had to get made at home too.
Despite the name, this salad has nothing to do with China or Asia. It is usually a salad that as served as an entree in restaurants, and now you can make it at home! It is believe that this salad (also known as an Asian Chicken Salad or Oriental Chicken Salad) originated at a restaurant in California. These days it is all over, and Cheesecake Factory is another one that is similar to this that is very well known.
This starts as your basic Oriental Chicken Salad with a base of cabbage and then I added some romaine as well. Then you start with your mix-ins, and this is where you can go crazy! I like to keep it basic, but you can go all out and add whatever your favorites are! The mix-ins are what make a salad a meal, which is why I love this Southwestern Cobb Salad for both lunch and dinner.
Chinese Chicken Salad Ingredients
- Use shrimp instead of chicken
- Chopped peanuts
- Snow Peas
- Chopped Bell Pepper
- Water chestnuts
- Wonton Strips
- Chow Mein Noodles
- Green Onions
- Sesame Seeds
- Use bagged coleslaw mix to save on chopping
You know what makes this Chinese chicken salad recipe so easy? Rotisserie chicken. It is seasoned to perfection and so easy to just shred and add to your salad. This is what makes it hearty and a complete meal, and gets dinner on the table in under 15 minutes.
How To Make Chinese Chicken Salad
- Start by getting out one of your biggest bowls, this makes a lot! Add your cabbage, lettuce, veggies and anything else you want to the sale.
- To make the dressing I like to use a mason jar that has a tight fitting lid. Then you can just pour all of the ingredients in and shake! You can make the dressing ahead of time and then just shake it up again when you want to use it.
- Wait to pour the dressing on the salad until you are ready to serve it.
Can You Make Chinese Chicken Salad Ahead of Time
Yes, but I like to wait to put the dressing and the crunchy toppings (wonton strips and chow main noodles) on until you are ready to serve. The crunchy add-ins start to get soggy if they sit with the dressing on. So I like to make a little extra dressing and then just let people add whatever amount they want when they are ready to eat. And then they can sprinkle on a few of their favorite toppings.
The leftover salad can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge. The next day you can use the leftovers for lunch and just add on your wonton strips and the leftover dressing for a quick and easy lunch. You can really make this salad your own and cater to the ingredients you and your family enjoys!
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Bruschetta Chicken
- Chicken Lo Mein
- Skillet Chili Mac
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
- Mexican Chopped Salad
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- 3 cups Romaine Lettuce
- 3 cups Cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups Leftover Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups Matchstick Carrots
- 1/2 cup Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 cup Wonton Strips
- 1/2 cup Chow Mein Noodles
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1/4 cup Sliced Green Onions
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Grated Fresh Ginger
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- In a large bowl toss together all of the ingredients for the salad. Set aside.
- In a small jar add all of the ingredients for the salad dressing. Shake until well combined.
- Pour salad dressing over the salad, tossing to combine until everything is well coated.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving Calories 685Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 163mgSodium 1182mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 7gSugar 12gProtein 54g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!