Mexican Chopped Salad – Crisp and cool salad topped with chicken, tomatoes, avocado and mixed with a Creamy Chipotle Dressing. Mix in your favorite toppings to make it a tasty and delicious meal!
There is just something about a good salad that I love. I used to hate making salads at home, I always thought restaurants were so much better! Well that was until I started making my own dressings and really loading them up with good and tasty toppings.
This Mexican chopped salad is great because you top with whatever your favorite taco toppings are and the dressing is creamy, smoky, a little spicy, and is perfect with it.
What Does Chopped Salad Mean
A chopped salad simple means that all of the ingredients are chopped up into bite sized pieces. That includes the lettuce or green you are using, they aren’t big pieces or leaves of lettuce, they are chopped into little bits. This can make it a lot easier to eat, and get a little bit of everything in each bite.
What’s In Mexican Chopped Salad
The thing about making salads at home is you can put whatever you like on them! The options really are endless. So go crazy and get creative, this really is just a guide to get you started.
- Romain Lettuce
- Red Onion
- Black Beans
- Sliced Jalapeno
- Black Olives
- Queso Fresco or other cheese
I think we can all agree that the dressing is what really makes the salad. Sometimes you want a thick and creamy dressing, but you don’t want to have a salad that is completely full of fat and calories. Which is why I love this creamy chipotle dressing. It is loaded with big flavors but still good for you.
- Greek Yogurt or sour cream
- Chipotle in Adobo
- Chili Powder
- Lime Juice
If you are in a hurry, salsa or even your favorite ranch dressing will work on this salad. But making this homemade dressing is as easy as measuring the ingredients into a bowl and giving it a stir!
How To Make Mexican Chopped Salad
- Start with a large bowl and add your chopped romaine lettuce or whatever greens you are using.
- Then get creative and layer on your favorite ingredients.
- To make the dressing add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and stir until it is all combined.
- Toss with with about half of the dressing right before serving. Serve the rest of the dressing on the side for anyone who wants to add more.
You can make the dressing ahead of time, it will last covered in the fridge for a few days. You can even chopped all of your toppings ahead of time, but I wouldn’t assemble the salad or toss with the dressing until you are ready to serve.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
- Dorito Taco Salad
- Greek Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- BLT Salad
- Chinese Chicken Salad
- Chicken Fajita Salad
- Antipasto Salad
- Southwest Cobb Salad
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 Tbsp chipotle in adobo, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 cups Chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 cup2 cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- To prepare the dressing mix all of the ingredients in a bowl, and stir until well combined.
- Add the chopped romaine lettuce to a large bowl. Top with whatever toppings you would like to use.
- Drizzle about half of the dressing over the salad, and mix to coat.
- Serve immediately with the remaining dressing on the side.
Adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving Calories 268Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 39mgSodium 443mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 7gSugar 6gProtein 16g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!