Zucchini Fritters – zucchini coated in taco seasoning breadcrumbs and baked until crispy! Served with a creamy salsa dipping sauce. Great way to get your family to eat more veggies!
I struggle on a daily basis to get my family to eat vegetables. Corn on the cob (which is borderline a vegetable) is about the only thing that flies. Sometimes I get sneaky and put them in Zucchini Muffins and other things, so they can’t be identified.
And I refuse to deep fry veggies to get them eaten, talk about defeating the point. So I continue to put them out there, in hopes that one day they will get eaten. In the mean time I will try recipes like this to see if they work. Sometimes it works! Like Crispy Cauliflower Fritters. And now these Zucchini Fritters!
I am sensing a pattern here. My family likes their veggies crispy. And if it can have fritter in the name, it stands a better chance. So I refuse to deep fry, but put breadcrumbs on it and bake it is fair game. And provide a dipping sauce….bonus! My family likes things spicy! Want proof? Read the fun story from our Pepperoni Pizza Burger incident.
These zucchini fritters are coated in breadcrumbs that are seasoning with taco seasoning. So they definitely aren’t boring! The dipping sauce is slightly tangy from the ranch dressing, and spicy from the salsa. You can use a mild salsa if you don’t like things spicy. But the dipping sauce is the perfect thing to get my family eating vegetables.
To get the zucchini fritters extra crispy, I like to bake them in a wire rack, so the air can circulate around them. Then they get baked and crispy on all sides at once. Another dipping sauce that would be great with these fritters is Cane’s Sauce. If you have that in your fridge, use it here!
Need more veggie side dish recipes?
Roasted Green Beans with Sesame and Garlic
Pan Charred Asparagus
Marinated Vegetable Salad by Valerie’s Kitchen
Indian Spiced Roasted Vegetables by It’s Yummi
Baked Zucchini Hummus Bites by Cookin’ Canuck
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 whole egg beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbls taco seasoning
- 2 small zucchini
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice zucchini into about 1/4 inch slices.
- In a bowl combine buttermilk and egg. Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together panko, breadcrumbs, and taco seasoning.
- Dip each slice of zucchini in the egg mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile mix together sour cream, salsa, and ranch for the dipping sauce. Store in fridge until ready to serve.
- Remove zucchini fritters from the oven. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Recipe from Taste of Home Healthy Cooking
Amount Per ServingCalories 268Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 60mgSodium 852mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 8gProtein 8g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.