Apple Pumpkin Coffee Cake – A great coffee cake for fall. The apple keeps the cake super moist, and the pumpkin gives it that great fall flavor.
I hope that you are having a great weekend. My parents are in town, so we are getting to spend time with them, and my brother. Considering my brother lives less than an hour away, we don’t really see him that often. Everyone works, our son has activities, and they live downtown (read small apartment, with no parking), so it doesn’t always work out.
They are in the process of building a house in a suburb of Denver though, so hopefully that means we will get to see them more often. So when you have a house full of people in the morning, what do you make for breakfast? Personally, I love something easy and fun, and my son wants something with cinnamon. So apple pumpkin coffee cake it is!
Apples and pumpkins are all over the place right now. So I decided to combine the two into one coffee cake. The apples are shredded, so they keep the cake super moist. Plus it has a streusel topping, so pretty much everyone is going to love it! Kind of like this Apple Pie Bread – the struesel just makes it!
I almost put a little vanilla glaze, drizzled over the top too. But I thought that might be the line that takes it from breakfast to dessert. And, really, I want any excuse I can, to have cake for breakfast. Keep this apple pumpkin coffee cake recipe handy for the next time you have guests, Thanksgiving morning, or some random Tuesday morning.
I used Mazola® Corn Oil to make this pumpkin coffee cake. There’s even a new study out that show corn oil significantly reduces cholesterol with more favorable changes in total cholesterol (TC) and LDL-C than extra virgin olive oil. Corn oil has natural cholesterol-blocking ability of plant sterols, so it can have really positive effects on blood cholesterol levels.
I just love it when cake becomes a little bit better for you! And there are no worries about taste, you will never know this coffee cake wasn’t made with all butter! And with that leftover pumpkin, you have tons of other pumpkin recipes to pick from to use it!!
A great coffee cake for fall. The apple keeps the cake super moist, and the pumpkin gives it that great fall flavor.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup apple, grated (about 1 large apple)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper, or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together sugar, corn oil, milk, egg, and pumpkin puree. Add in the flour, and stir until just barely combined. Fold in the grated apple.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the streusel. Mix until the consistency of wet sand. Sprinkle over the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
Loosely based on Pumpkin Apple Muffins from Mazola®
**This is a sponsored conversation from Mazola®. . All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.