Creamy Chicken Stroganoff – tender chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce over egg noodles. Mix up the protein from classic beef stroganoff recipes.
Last week I told you about how I do a girls lunch with one of my best friends every week. Last week I made Nutty Fried Rice and this week Creamy Chicken Stroganoff. There are mushrooms involved so my family, and hers for that matter, won’t eat it. So we like to indulge in our love of mushrooms together.
You may have noticed I have a thing for stroganoff lately. I made Beef Stroganoff Stuffed Bread a couple weeks ago. Plus Beef Stroganoff Skillet is one of my all time favorite dinners. But why let beef have all the fun? I am mixing it up and using chicken today.
This chicken stroganoff comes together very quickly. You thinly slice the chicken, so it cooks very fast. While the egg noodles are cooking, you make the chicken and the creamy mushroom sauce. Then about 20 minutes later you get to stuff your face with this creamy chicken stroganoff. I am sorry, stuff your face was probably not the proper thing to say.
But seriously, this sauce was so good! We were both sneaking bites of the leftovers while putting them away. I sent the leftovers home with my friend, and I have my doubts whether or not they made it through the day and actually to her house.
My family is going to have to learn to love mushrooms, because this creamy chicken stroganoff is going to be a staple in my house. There is just no way I am living without that sauce. Maybe I will leave the mushrooms on the side for me, and they can just have chicken in a creamy sauce. That could work!
Trust me, you want to add this super easy chicken dinner to your menu. It will make your family rethink chicken. So next time they ask what is for dinner, and you say chicken, they may just get excited!
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff - tender chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce over egg noodles. Mix up the protein from classic beef stroganoff recipes.
5 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbls vegetable oil, divided
- 2 Tbls butter, divided
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used baby bellas)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbls flour
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbls fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- Toss together 1/2 cup flour, chicken, salt and pepper until well coated.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tbls oil and 1 Tbls butter together over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally, until done. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter and oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until mushrooms are browned and garlic is soft. Sprinkle 1 Tbls of flour over the mushroom and stir until mushrooms are coated, and no white flour remains. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until it starts to thicken. Add chicken back to the pan and cook for 1 minute to make sure chicken is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in dijon mustard and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles. Garnish with fresh parsley.