This week appears to be strawberry week. Berry Almond Salad, Strawberry Crumb Bars, and now this. It was completely unintentional, but now I feel bad I don’t have another strawberry recipe ready for Friday. I have some strawberry frozen yogurt churning in my ice cream maker right now, but I didn’t plan on taking pictures to share it. Might have to rethink that!
Once a year, over the summer, we get fresh strawberries from a farmers market or go to a place you can pick your own strawberries. We come home and that night for dinner we have Strawberry Shortcake. It was a tradition that started with my husband and his family as a child. We have continued it with our son as well. Since moving to Colorado, we have had to resort to getting them at the farmer’s market. They are still picked that day, and very fresh, but not the same as picking our own.
I used my beloved strawberry huller from OXO to make quick work of the strawberries. Usually we use a bisquick for our shortcake recipe. It is what my MIL has used all of my husband’s life, and he would never think of letting me change it. I didn’t have any bisquick in the house though, so I used this make your own recipe I found over at Unsophisticook. Then I proceeded like I normally would with the bisquick recipe. It was quick, easy, and perfect for our annual strawberry shortcake tradition!
Perfect for fresh strawberries. A classic strawberry shortcake
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 1/3 cup Bisquick mix
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbls sugar
- 3 Tbls butter, melted
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Whipped Cream
- In a large bowl mix together sliced strawberries and sugar. Let sit for at least 30 minutes, until they are nice and juicy. It could be up to an hour, depending on how ripe your strawberries are.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together bisquick, milk, sugar, and butter until a soft down forms. Press into a 7x11 inch baking dish. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool for just a minute or two before slicing. Top squares with strawberry mixture, and whipped cream.
Shortcake recipe from Bisquick