Strawberry Crumb Bars – a buttery short bread crust with fresh strawberries and a crumb topping. They are a must for fresh summer berries!
These bars go by quite a few different names, but in our house they are strawberry crumb bars. You may call them streusel bars, oatmeal bars, or even crumble bars. But it really doesn’t matter what you call them, they are a must make when you can get your hands on fresh summer berries!
This recipe was originally posted on the blog the summer of 2011, right after I started blogging. Then I updated it in 2013, but where we are again with another facelift. The strawberry bars are just so good and worthy of being made again and again.
These crumb bars start off with an almost shortbread like crust that just blends with the strawberries and melts in your mouth. If you are going strawberry picking, be sure to pick a few extra strawberries, because you do not want to miss these!
What You’ll Need To Make These
See the full recipe card below for the measurements and actual recipe.
- All-Purpose Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Quick Cooking Oats
- Strawberry Jam
- Lemon Juice
What Type Of Strawberries To Use
Fresh – The best option for these is to use fresh strawberries. If you can get them from the farmers market or even pick them yourself, you will get the absolute best flavor. But the ones from the grocery store still make darn tasty bars.
Frozen – This recipe definitely works with frozen, it just isn’t quite as good. If that what you use, make sure to thaw the berries first and drain away any liquid before using them.
Variety – You really can mix it up and use whatever berry you have or is your favorite. If you love raspberries, use raspberries and raspberry jam in the recipe. Or do a mix of different berries. Trust me, it will all be delicious!
How To Make Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Start by making the crust. I like to use a stand mixer for this, because it is just easier. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the mixer and with it on low slowly add in the cubes of butter. Once it is the consistency of damp sand, press it into the bottom of a 13×9 inch baking dish.
- Bake the crust for about 14 minutes until the edges just start to get golden brown.
- Meanwhile, you can make the crumb topping by using your fingers to mix together the brown sugar, oats, and some of the reserved flour mixture.
- In a bowl mix together the strawberry jam, chopped strawberries and lemon juice until it is nice and combined.
- Remove the crust from the oven and spread the strawberry mixture evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle over the crumb topping and then bake it for another 25 minutes until the filling is hot and bubbly and the crust is golden brown.
- Fresh strawberries are really the best thing to use in this recipe. Frozen will work, but they won’t be as sweet or delicious.
- An electric mixer does a great job of getting the crust to come together. Just make sure the butter is nice and cold, so your shortbread bakes up nicely.
- The crumb topping calls for quick cooking oats. Old fashioned will work, but I like the texture of the quick cooking. It isn’t quite as thick this way, and the bars are just softer.
- Let the bars cool. These bars are best at room temperature, so let them cool before slicing. They will also come out better and not fall apart once they have cooled.
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Brownies
- Strawberry Bread
- Strawberry Popsicles
- Strawberry Milkshakes
- Strawberry Cream Squares
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Lasagna
Strawberry Crumb Bars
Strawberry Crumb Bars - a buttery short bread crust with fresh strawberries and a crumb topping. They are a must for fresh summer berries!
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Butter - cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- + 2 Tbls butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Quick Cooking Oats
- 1 cup strawberry jelly or jam
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 13x9 in pan with non stick spray.
- In electric mixer stir together flour, sugar and salt.
- With the mixer on a low speed add the 1 cup of butter, 1 piece at a time. Continue mixing until combined, it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. It will be the consistency of damp sand. Set aside 1 1/4 cup of this mixture.
- Press the remaining flour mixture firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 375º F for 14 minutes. The edges will be slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, oats, and the reserved flour mixture. With your fingers, work in the remaining 2 Tbls of butter, until it is in small clumps.
- Combine the jelly, chopped strawberries and the lemon juice in a small bowl. Mash with a fork to combine. Be sure to leave some chunks of berries in there.
- Spread filling evenly over the hot crust. Sprinkle with the streusel topping over the strawberries.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. The crust will be brown, and the filling will be bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before slicing.
Serving Size24 Servings
Amount Per Serving Calories 188Saturated Fat 5gCholesterol 22mgSodium 129mgCarbohydrates 25gSugar 13gProtein 1g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Check out all of my E-books as well as branded merchandise HERE! Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
- Chocolate Pizza - March 20, 2023
- Chicken Taco Soup - March 17, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
I made these to use up some fresh strawberries, and they were perfect. I can’t stop going back for one more bite.
This looks so amazing, thank you for sharing I cannot wait to try it out!
This looks SO good! I wish I have one right now!
Oh my goodness! How inviting these strawberry bars look! So delicious!
This is so good and delish! My kids couldn’t stop eating it!
These look heavenly and so yummy! My daughter and hubby are going to be all over these bars. I’m so excited to make these very soon. Adding everything to my list now.