Strawberry Milkshake – An old fashioned milkshake made with fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream. A delicious and refreshing treat this summer!
Do you go strawberry picking where you live? When we lived in Iowa we used to go every year and come home with pounds and pounds of strawberries. But since we moved to Colorado we have no been able to do that. Apparently this just isn’t the right climate for them. Which is very disappointing, because it was one of our favorite summer traditions.
We would come home and have Strawberry Shortcake for dinner that night, and then I would make strawberry recipes like crazy! Strawberry milkshakes were definitely on the menu for a couple days afterwards too. And Strawberry Crumb Bars were always on the menu.
My husband and son are obsessed with a strawberry milkshake. Every ice cream place we go, they have to check what kind of milkshake is on the menu. And if it is strawberry flavored, you can bet they will order it. Sometimes they are made with the strawberry syrup though, and that is not nearly as good as fresh a fresh strawberry shake.
I actually first made this recipe 4 years ago when I started blogging, and have not made it much since. Kind of sad when you think of it, all those milkshakes we missed out on. So when I made this one afternoon for my son, he was practically jumping for joy. He said it tasted better than any restaurant milkshake he has ever had! Super fresh berries and good quality ice cream are pretty much all it takes!
How to Make a Milkshake
- Good quality ice cream. For a vanilla or fruit flavored milkshake, I like to use vanilla ice cream. Chocolate shakes are best with chocolate ice cream.
- Fresh berries – you want to mix them with a little sugar so they get all nice and juicy
- A little milk – you need a little milk to get it all to come together
- Mix everything together in blender and you are done!
- The whipped cream on top is optional, but really why would you leave it off?!
I have made a few milkshake recipes over the years. Brownie Fudge Ice Cream Shakes are one of my favorites. Or you could turn a shake into something different? Strawberry Milkshake Pie is a super fun twist the whole family can enjoy.
So this summer when you want something sweet, cool and refreshing a milkshake is definitely the way to go! These Strawberry milkshakes are over the top delicious with super fresh berries, so if you can find them, save some for this strawberry milkshake recipe. And may make these Strawberry Cream Squares as well.
- 1/2 pound fresh strawberries, , hulled and sliced
- 2 heaping tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- In a mixing bowl combine the sliced strawberries, sugar and vanilla extract and stir to combine well. Set aside for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- In blender (or food processor if you don't have a blender) place the strawberries, ice cream, and milk. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass and top with whip cream to serve. Enjoy!
Recipe from Emeril Lagasse
Serving Size3 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 264Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 42mgSodium 93mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 2gSugar 31gProtein 5g