Chicken Tortilla Soup – Slightly spicy, full of Mexican flavors and great for cooler weather. This Mexican Chicken tortilla soup recipe is perfect for the soup lover in your life!
As soon as the weather turns cold, I am a huge fan of soup. Just about any soup will do. I think Creamy Wild Rice Soup might be one of my favorites. But I am such a sucker for anything Mexican I think this tortilla soup is a really close second.
We all know how much I love Mexican food, so it should come as no surprise one of my favorite soups is also full of Mexican flavors.
This recipe is originally the Pioneer Woman Chicken Tortilla Soup. I found it years and years ago, and have been making it ever since. The spices are just perfect and it is super easy to make. Instant Pot Tortilla Soup is my version for the pressure cooker that is ready in no time.
There is just something about getting to put all my favorite things on top of the soup that makes this the best. Avocado, cilantro, tortilla strips, cheese and more! You really can add whatever you like; sour cream, tomatoes, jalapenos and more.
This Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe is super easy to make! The ingredient list looks long, but don’t worry it is mostly spices to season your chicken and broth. Once you measure the spices the rest is just letting the chicken cook and letting the soup boil. It is really easy to make, trust me!
If you are a fan of black beans, you could add them to this soup. Tortilla soup is really versatile and something you can adjust to your liking. Add more spice if you want, less spice if you like things mild; that is the beauty of this recipe.
This Pioneer Woman chicken tortilla soup recipe is quickly going to become a staple in your life. The Best Cornbread is the perfect side dish to go with this soup. I pretty much require some kind of bread with soup!
And the best part is you can freeze this soup. Just store in an air tight container and you can make enough to have another meal later. Or store in individual containers and you have easy lunches for the rest of the week!
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 tsp olive oil, (for brushing the chicken)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 small red onion, , diced
- 1 jalapeno
- 3 cloves garlic, , minced
- 1 can, (10 oz) Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 small can, (8oz) tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Sour Cream
- Red Onion
- Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Tortilla Strips
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl mix cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. Place chicken in a small baking dish. Brush chicken with olive oil, and sprinkle a little of the season mixture over the chicken. Turn the chicken over and repeat. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
- Bake chicken for 20-25 minutes (depending on size), until it is cooked through. Once cooked, shred using two forks.
- In a large pot heat 1 Tbls olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, jalapeno, and garlic. Stir and cook for a couple minutes. Add the remaining spice mixture you set aside, stirring to coat.
- Mix in the shredded chicken. Add Rotel tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato sauce, water, and corn. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with desired garnish.
Amount Per ServingCalories 278 Total Fat 13g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 8g Cholesterol 60mg Sodium 787mg Carbohydrates 17g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 4g Sugar 5g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 25g