With tender and juicy lean meat coated in a creamy and hearty sauce, this mushroom chicken is an easy and comforting meal, perfect for a cozy night. The earthy and rich mushroom sauce is loaded with garlic, cream, and Italian herbs and spices, while the chicken breasts are moist and cooked to perfection.
Chicken and mushrooms is one of the best food pairings. It’s such a comforting combination of hearty flavors. This creamy mushroom chicken recipe might be my favorite way to combine these flavorful and humble ingredients. The sauce is rich, creamy, and packed with herbs and garlic, and it perfectly coats the succulent meat.
This is such an easy meal, but it’s the ultimate comfort food. On a cold night, there’s nothing better than a piece of juicy chicken smothered in cream, garlic, mushrooms, and Italian seasonings. You’ve got to give this 30-minute mushroom chicken recipe a try next time you need a cozy meal or a fancy date night dinner.
Why You’ll Love This Chicken With Mushroom Sauce
I make this chicken and mushroom dinner all the time and it never gets old. Here’s why I know you’ll love this recipe.
- Quick and easy. This is a super easy recipe to make. It only takes half an hour, and it only requires ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. The recipe is straightforward and easy to follow, and you won’t dirty a ton of pots and pans.
- Restaurant-quality. The secret to this rich and creamy mushroom chicken recipe is the sauce. Loaded with cream, butter, chicken broth, and tons of seasonings, the sauce transforms the tender chicken into a restaurant-quality dinner. Whether you serve this for friends, family, or a date, they won’t believe that you made it from scratch!
- Tender and juicy. Because the chicken breasts in this recipe are cooked in the sauce, they stay incredibly moist and tender. It’s usually so easy to overcook chicken, but this recipe comes out perfectly juicy every single time.
What You’ll Need
Here are all the ingredients that you’ll need to make this succulent and comforting mushroom chicken dinner. Make sure to head to the recipe card at the end of the page to find the exact amounts for each ingredient.
For the Chicken:
- Thin-cut chicken breasts – Make sure to use boneless and skinless breasts.
- All-purpose flour
- Pepper – Always use freshly cracked pepper.
- Olive oil – You can substitute any type of cooking oil.
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- Butter – I like to use unsalted butter.
- Mushrooms – Button mushrooms are perfect for this recipe, but you can use any type of mushrooms you like.
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Italian seasoning
How to Make Mushroom Chicken
Here’s how to make this 30-minute juicy chicken dinner with mushroom cream sauce. It’s so easy!
- Season the chicken. Lightly season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add flour. Pour the flour into a bowl or on a plate and lightly coat the chicken in the flour. Shake off excess flour.
- Sear the chicken. Heat a large skillet over high heat, then add the oil. When hot, add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Then remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the mushrooms and garlic. Put the same pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. When the butter melts, add the mushrooms and cook until they soften, which should take about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour. Pour the flour into the skillet and stir it in. Cook until it is no longer white.
- Make the sauce. Whisk the gravy while slowly pouring in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Season. Add the Italian seasoning and stir until incorporated.
- Add the chicken. Put the chicken back in the skillet, and cook for a few minutes, until the meat is cooked all the way through.
- Finish. Season the mushroom sauce to taste with salt and pepper, then serve while hot.
Tips for Success
Here are some of my favorite tricks and tips for when you make creamy mushroom chicken.
- Make your own seasoning. Italian seasoning is one of my favorite spice blends. This herbaceous mixture is made out of rosemary, basil, and a handful of other traditional Italian ingredients. While you can buy it at the store, it’s much more delicious if you make it at home, and it only takes a few minutes. Try using my recipe for Homemade Italian Seasoning and you’ll take this mushroom chicken recipe up a notch.
- Brown the chicken. For the most flavor, make sure that you really brown the meat when you sear it in the pan. Browning chicken is how you maximize flavor, so be sure that your pan is hot enough, and that you cook the chicken long enough on each side to get a golden-brown sear.
- Use a meat thermometer. The chicken breasts in this recipe are so tender and juicy since they’re cooked right in the sauce. But for best results, you don’t want to cook them too far beyond when they’re done or they’ll start to get tough. I recommend using an instant-read meat thermometer so that you can stop cooking the chicken as soon as it reaches 165F.
- Really cook the flour. When you add the flour to the sauce, make sure to cook it sufficiently before adding the liquids. The flour shouldn’t be white, and it shouldn’t smell like raw flour while you’re stirring.
What to Serve With Creamy Mushroom Chicken
This hearty and comforting chicken and mushroom recipe is so delicious, but it doesn’t have any vegetables in it. So I like to serve it with a nice vegetable side dish to make it a complete meal. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Zucchini Fritters With Corn
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Simple Tossed Salad
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Mushroom chicken is an easy recipe to store and reheat. Just add the meat and sauce to an airtight container and it will last in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for 3 months. Reheat in a 350F oven for 10 minutes, or in the microwave in 30-second increments. If frozen, thaw the chicken entirely before reheating.
More Easy Chicken Dinners
I make chicken for dinner all the time. It’s easy and quick to cook, very affordable, and a super healthy protein. And most importantly, it’s delicious! Here are some more of my favorite chicken dinners for you to try making.
- Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Skillet
- Santa Fe Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- Baked Caesar Chicken
For the Chicken:
- 4 thinly-cut chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 16 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Pour the flour into a plate or a shallow bowl, and lightly coat each piece of chicken. Shake off any excess flour.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat, then add the olive oil to the pan. Once hot, add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove the meat from the pan and keep warm.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat and add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, until the cook down and begin to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté in the pan for 1-2 minutes, until you can smell the garlic.
- Put the flour in the skillet and stir it into the mushroom mixture until it's no longer white.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and the heavy cream. Once mixed, bring the sauce to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
- Add the Italian seasoning and stir it in, then add the chicken back to the skillet. Cook for a couple minutes until the meat is cooked all the way through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve the chicken hot with the sauce poured over it. Garnish with fresh parsley or other herbs.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Reheat in a 350F oven for 10 minutes, or in the microwave in 30-second increments.
Amount Per Serving Calories 466Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 12gCholesterol 141mgSodium 521mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 42g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!