Creamy Chicken Stroganoff – tender chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce over egg noodles. Mix up the protein from classic beef stroganoff recipes.
Stroganoff anything is usually a hit with me. I love this Skillet Beef Stroganoff to get all the flavors, but in a super budget friendly way. It uses beef ravioli to get the beef and pasta part and then you just have to saute mushrooms and make the sauce! So easy and so good.
I am kind of a sucker for anything with sauteed mushrooms, so this chicken stroganoff recipe is perfect for an easy dinner. Not only is it over the top delicious, but it is also lightened up a little bit, so you don’t have to feel guilty!
This chicken stroganoff comes together very quickly. You thinly slice the chicken, so it cooks very fast. While the egg noodles are cooking, you make the chicken and the creamy mushroom sauce. Then about 20 minutes later you get to stuff your face with this creamy chicken stroganoff. But seriously, this sauce was so good!
What’s In Chicken Stroganoff
- Chicken Breasts
- All-Purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- Vegetable Oil
- Fresh Thyme
- Chicken Broth
- Dijon Mustard
- Sour Cream
How you serve chicken stroganoff is up to you. I personally like it over egg noodles, but lots of people like stroganoff over white rice, so that works too. Just cook the noodles or rice while the chicken is cooking, so it is hot and waiting for you when it is done.
How to Make Chicken Stroganoff
- Start by tossing your thinly sliced chicken with flour, salt and pepper. This is going to help the chicken stay nice and tender when you cook it. The flour locks in the juices and it is delicious.
- A mix of butter and olive oil are used so you get great flavor from both.
- Sauté the chicken until it is browned and cooked through. Remove it from the pan and cover it with foil to keep it warm. You don’t want it to over cook while you sauté the mushrooms, so keep a plate near by to place it on.
- Cook the mushrooms until they are nice and browned.
- Then you are making the sauce! Add a little bit of flour to the pan, this is how you thicken chicken stroganoff. The flour will mix with the butter and oil in the pan and you will make a roux.
- Add the chicken stock and whisk until the sauce is smooth. This is the roux that will thicken the sauce. The chicken stock is part of the way you are making this a healthier chicken stroganoff. You could use milk or cream, but that would add more fat and calories.
- After the sauce thickens, you want to remove it from the heat. Sour cream is traditional in stroganoff, but it curdles easily. So make sure your pan is off the heat when you stir this in. You will get a luscious creamy sauce that everyone will love.
Can you Freeze Chicken Stroganoff
Yes you can. I would not freeze with the noodles or rice, just the chicken and sauce portion. Place it in an air tight container to freeze. Thaw in the fridge and then reheat gently over low heat in a skillet.
You do not want to heat quickly or the sour cream in the sauce will separate. The sauce may not be as silky smooth after it is frozen, but it will still be delicious.
Can you Reheat Chicken Stroganoff
Yes it does reheat well. If I am at home I will take the time to slowly reheat in a pan on the stove. But my husband just uses the microwave at work without a problem. The sauce does change slightly when reheating, but that is the case with most leftovers. I always make extra of this so my husband can take it to work the next day.
This chicken stroganoff recipe is great for busy nights, it really comes together quickly. Serve over rice or egg noodles with a salad or vegetable on the side. You want to make sure that you soak up all that sauce with your noodles, because it is devine.
What Goes With Chicken Stroganoff
Trust me, you want to add this super easy chicken dinner to your menu. It will make your family rethink chicken. So next time they ask what is for dinner, and you say chicken, they may just get excited!
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Orange Glazed Chicken
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- French Onion Chicken
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff
Creamy Chicken Stroganoff - tender chicken in a creamy mushroom sauce over egg noodles. Mix up the protein from classic beef stroganoff recipes.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, , cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used baby bellas)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
- Toss together the 1/4 cup flour, chicken, salt and pepper until well coated.
- In a large skillet heat 1 Tablespoon oil and 1 Tablespoon butter together over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally, until done. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter and oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until mushrooms are browned and garlic is soft.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of flour over the mushroom and stir until mushrooms are coated, and no white flour remains.
- Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Add chicken back to the pan and cook for 1 minute to make sure chicken is hot.
- Remove from heat and stir in Dijon mustard and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles. Garnish with fresh parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 615Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 130mgSodium 625mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 45g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Special K Bars - March 27, 2023
- Beef Stroganoff - March 24, 2023
- Homemade Ravioli - March 22, 2023
Signup for all the new recipes to be sent to your inbox on Saturday morning!
Lisa Evanoff says
Made this tonight and it was wonderful!
Sandy Riggien says
Some of my family members don’t eat mushrooms either because they don’t like the texture so I cook them as stated in the recipe and then remove them and liquidise them and sit them back into the dish I am preparing. It actually intensifies the flavours. This is done with onios too and they are not any the wiser.
Linda Clayborn says
I / we did not care for this recipe. There were to many things missing that could have offered up more flavor that were not included here. If I were to make this again the entire recipe would have to be reworked. It was ok I guess just not great or good.
Mahy Elamin says
Thank you for this amazing dish. All of my kids asked for seconds, even the one who doesn’t like mushrooms ate the mushrooms. This recipe is definitely a keeper!
Chrissie Baker says
Chicken stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort dishes, this looks delicious!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
I can’t wait to try this! It looks and sounds SO good!!
Cindy Gordon says
This is one of my favorite dinners! I often will switch out the chicken with tofu for meatless mondays!
How creamy and inviting this chicken Stroganoff looks! My family will love it!
Allyson Zea says
This looks like the PERFECT dinner!
Melanie Bauer says
Looks so delish! I would love to try this, just perfect when we need something quick and easy!
Katerina @ diethood .com says
Such an incredible dish! My family would LOVE this!
Such a classic and easy dinner recipe! My family loves this!
Oh this looks so good! Love your photos! Great use of chicken too!
Sara Welch says
I love all the creamy goodness in this classic dish! Looks delicious; I will add this to my dinner line up for the week!
Beth Pierce says
This sounds amazing! Adding this recipe to my dinner line up for the week!
This is one dish my family will really love!
Perfect for weeknight dinners. Such a good comfort meal!
I super love pasta and chicken and this is just… PERFECT!
My kids loved this even more than they love beef stroganoff! It was so delicious.
katerina @ diethood.com says
The perfect weeknight meal! This is incredibly delicious!!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes says
My family would really enjoy this! It looks amazing!
This is such an amazing weeknight meal! It is so good and so easy to make!
Love this stroganoff recipe! Making it again for sure