Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder – a super fast and easy soup you can make any night of the week. This recipe for corn chowder is thick, creamy, and actually good for you!
There is just something about a comforting bowl of soup. It can be chicken enchilada soup or even just a classic chicken noodle. But a hot bowl of soup with some kind of bread is pretty much my ideal winter dinner.
Corn Chowder isn’t something that I grew up eating, because my dad didn’t like soup. He pretty much wrote off any soup, of any kind. Maybe a cream of mushroom was ok, but if it was broth based, it was out.
I love a good cream soup as well, but I don’t love how bad they can be for you. A classic corn chowder recipe is made with plenty of butter and heavy cream, and those calories add up fast! So I love this chicken corn chowder because it uses evaporated milk to lighten it up, so you don’t have to feel guilty.
I think by now, you know that we are big fans of Mexican food. Chicken enchiladas are one of my favorite things of all time to make. So it should come as no surprise that I put a Southwestern spin on corn chowder.
Green chilies, ground cumin and chili powder are all it takes to take a classic chicken corn chowder to a Southwestern chicken corn chowder. And if you serve it with the best cornbread recipe, it is even better!
And you can have this dinner on the table fast! Just about 20 minutes and you have a comforting and delicious bowl of soup any night of the week. Want to know a shortcut? Pick up a rotisserie chicken! Then you just throw that it towards the end, and dinner is done!
This recipe for corn chowder is not spicy, it just has the Southwest flavor from the chili powder and green chilies. If you want to make it hot, add in some jalapenos or a little cayenne pepper. I know my family will like that next time I make it, because they are all about the spice!
Mix up your next soup night and make this Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder. It is creamy and delicious, but with no guilt! The leftovers are great for lunch the next day as well!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 14.5 oz chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 10.75 oz condensed cream of chicken soup, reduced fat
- 4 oz chopped green chilies
- 2 cans cream-style corn, (14.5 oz)
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and chicken and brown for 4-5 minutes. Mix in garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, and green chilies, mix until well combined. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and mix in corn, evaporated milk, chili powder, cumin, and black pepper. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until everything is heated through.
- Serve topped with cheese and cilantro
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 427 Total Fat 14g Saturated Fat 6g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 91mg Sodium 1110mg Carbohydrates 44g Fiber 3g Sugar 14g Protein 35g