Triple Chocolate Muffins – Rich, tender chocolate muffins that are secretly healthy for you! You can have your cake and eat it too!
My parents get here today! We are going to pick them up at the airport this morning, then spend some time in Denver this afternoon. Tonight we get to go out for dinner to celebrate my birthday! This is the first time my dad will be to our new town, so I am excited to show him around. He lived near Denver at one point in his life, but he never made it north to Fort Collins. Should be a fun weekend!
I might have to break out these triple chocolate muffins one morning while they are here. They are full of chocolate, and could almost double as a dessert. Fresh out of the oven the melted chocolate chips almost make it like a molten chocolate cake.
BUT, there is a big but involved. They are healthy! Shhhhh…you don’t have to tell anyone! I found this recipe over at Dashing Dish. She came up with the recipe when trying to recreate Chocolate Chunk Vitatop Muffins.
I have never had those before, so I don’t know how they compare, I just know they were delicious! I only had milk chocolate chips on hand, so that is what I used. Mini chips would be great to if you had them too!
Want more muffins? Check out the 50 Muffins that have been shared here before, all in one place.
Buttermilk Maple French Toast Muffins by Noble Pig
Cranberry Orange Rosemary Muffins by Nutmeg Nanny
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Whole Wheat Cinnamon Chip Muffins
- 3 Tbls butter, , cubed
- 1 1/2 oz dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, , lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for dusting, , optional
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray or line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners.
- Melt dark chocolate and butter together. If using a microwave, stop to stir every 30 seconds.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, milk, vanilla, and eggs. Mix until well combined. Stir in melted chocolate until smooth.
- Add flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Fold win chocolate chips.
- Fill the 12 muffin tins with batter.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the oven to 375 (leave door closed) and cook for an additional 10 minutes. A tester should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Once completely cool, dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Recipe from Cooking Light
Amount Per ServingCalories 266 Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 40mg Sodium 186mg Carbohydrates 46g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 2g Sugar 27g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 5g