I have given you quite a few healthy recipes this week, today not so much! I love this cake, and just had to share. My birthday was last weekend, but we celebrated it last night with my parents. This is what we had. I first had a flourless chocolate cake on our honeymoon. and I immediately fell in love. I have never made it at home though. My husband gave me the Cook’s Illustrated cookbook this year, and this recipe was in there. It was high time I make one! It might be a problem now that I know how easy it is to do at home!
It is a very rich cake, and a tiny sliver is all you need. And that is coming from someone who can never have enough chocolate. With all of us eating it we only ate about 1/4 of the cake. I topped with fresh whipped cream and raspberries, but you could use strawberries or anything else you wanted.
- 8 eggs , cold
- 1 pound semi-sweet chocolate , chopped coarse (use high quality chocolate)
- 16 Tbls butter , cut into 16 pieces
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Have a rack set in the lower-middle position. Grease an 8-inch spring form pan. Wrap the outside with 2 layers of foil. Set in a large roasting pan. Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Beat the eggs in an electric mixer on high speed until they double in volume (about 5 minutes). Meanwhile melt the chocolate and butter together. Use a double boiler or microwave. Once melted and smooth use a spatula to fold in 1/3 of the egg foam. When only a few streaks of egg remain fold in 1/2 of the remaining foam. Then the last of the foam until it is completely blended.
- Pour into spring form pan. Set the roasting pan on the oven rack, and pour enough boiling water to come about halfway up the sides of the pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes, or until cake has risen slightly and the edges are just beginning to set, a thin glazed crust with form on the surface (and instant read thermometer will read 140 degrees). Remove pan from water bath and set on a wire rack to cool completely. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve slice and dust with powdered sugar or top with whipped cream.