Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake – Turn the classic strawberry shortcake into a chocolate dessert with these chocolate biscuits as the base. Topped with homemade whipped cream and lots of fresh strawberries for an over the top dessert!
This post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
You all know that I am a chocolate lover to the core. If it has triple chocolate in the name, like this Brownie Skillet, I am all over it. My husband on the other hand is the complete opposite. I am pretty sure classic Strawberry Shortcake ranks in his top 2 desserts of all time.
Click HERE to get the full recipe
So today, I am taking his all the favorite and adding my chocolate twist to it. It really starts with a chocolate biscuit as your base, and the rest of it is the same. You can really never go wrong adding fresh juicy strawberries and piles of homemade whipped cream on anything. But a fresh, warm chocolate shortcake as the base makes it unbelievably good!
This is basically a quick biscuit recipe that is sweetened and has cocoa powder to make it chocolate-y. Plus there are mini chocolate chips in there, because like I said before, you can never have too much chocolate! I like to use mini chocolate chips, so you don’t get a bite down on one big chocolate chip, rather there are tiny ones all throughout, so it is still soft and melts in your mouth.
How to Make Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
- Start by macerating the strawberries. This just means cutting them into small pieces and mixing the with granulated sugar. They will sit for 30 minutes to 2 hours, depending on how fresh and juicy your berries are to start with.
- To make the biscuits you just whisk together all of the dry ingredients until they are all combined. Then you cut in the butter. This means to use a pastry cutter or your hands to work the butter into the flour. You will end up with the consistency of sand when you are done. Toss the chocolate chips in the mixture before you add the liquid. Next mix in the heavy cream or half and half. It really doesn’t matter which one you use, they both work. You can even use milk too. Then mix it all together until just combined.
- Bake the biscuits – use an ice cream scoop or two spoons to drop balls of dough onto a lined baking sheet. They do spread a little so make sure you have a few inches of space around them.
- While they biscuits are baking make the whipped cream. Beat heavy cream in an electric mixer until it is soft peaks. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla extra and beat until stiff peaks.
- To serve you can slice each biscuit in half once they have cooled slightly, or you can just top them with whipped cream and strawberries. However you want to do it, is up to you!
I recently made Strawberry Shortcake Pancakes, so if you are a shortcake or strawberry fan be sure to check them out. Anything with fresh strawberries is always a win in our house. And this time of year they are starting to show up all over the place. So it is the perfect time to stock up and make it all!
These tender chocolate biscuits are the ultimate treat for chocolate lovers. They would be great to serve with ice cream and chocolate sauce or even caramel sauce. I may have eaten them just plain too, no judgement here! A warm biscuit with the melted chocolate inside is delicious.
More Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Cream Squares
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Poke Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Lasagna
- Strawberry Almond Cupcakes
- Strawberry Popsicles
- Strawberry Milkshake
- Strawberry Margarita Bars
I am sharing this recipe today over at Imperial Sugar. Click on Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake to get the full printable recipe.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!