This post brought to you by Sargento® Cheese. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts.
Italian Stuffed Chicken – chicken breasts rolled up with pesto, tomatoes, and cheese! Then baked until crispy and delicious, a great family dinner.
I think that chicken is probably the most common protein people use on a daily basis. It can be hard to come up with new ways to use it, so your family isn’t bored all the time. One way to make my family happy is to add cheese! We did grow up in Wisconsin, so cheese is kind of a staple in our house.
There is just something about gooey, melty cheese. It is obviously delicious, but it is also so comforting. So when you can pair it with an easy stuffed chicken recipe you know it is going to be a good night.
This Italian stuffed chicken recipe comes together pretty easily. Chicken breasts you get in the store are so big these days. So I like to butterfly them, and turn them into 2 servings that way. This chicken is rolled up, so you need it to be nice and thin. So gently pound it until you get to about 1/4 inch thick. I filled these chicken breasts with pesto. Italian style tomatoes, and sliced cheese!!
I used Sargento® Sliced Cheese to make this stuffed chicken. Sargento® Slices are 100% real, natural cheese. You can definitely taste the difference compared to other Pasteurized Process Cheese, which is only required to contain 51% real cheese.
The cheese melts perfectly, so you get cheese oozing out of the chicken, and it mixes with the tomatoes and creates the best sauce! Sargento® slices are great to have on hand for just about any recipe. I add the sharp Cheddar to my son’s roast beef sandwich in his lunch box. And they are perfect for grilling burgers, making grilled cheese sandwiches or even when making breakfast sandwiches for your holiday guests.
So treat your family this week and make this Italian stuffed chicken recipe. Everyone will be impressed, you will be happy with how easy it came together, and you will have a great family dinner together. Serve with roasted Brussels sprouts or your favorite side dish for a complete meal!
- 4 (6 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (14 oz) can Italian style diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 4-6 slices Sargento® Sliced Provolone Cheese
- 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay pounded chicken on a cutting board in front of you. Spread about 1 Tbls of pesto over each piece of chicken. Place a piece of cheese over the pesto (add more cheese if your pieces of chicken are bigger).
- Spoon in about 1 Tbls of canned tomatoes. Roll chicken tightly, secure with toothpicks.
- Pour remaining tomatoes into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Roll pieces of chicken through breadcrumbs.
- Nestle chicken into tomatoes. Spray chicken with non-stick spray.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked though.
- Use broiler for the last 2-3 minutes, if you want your chicken to get golden brown.
- Remove from pan and serve immediately.