Today is the last day of school! As of 12:15pm today, I officially have a 4th grader. To celebrate the last day of school, my 9 year old and I are going out to lunch and spending the afternoon together. I love that he still wants to do things with me, and thinks I am fun to be with. I am sure I have little time of that left. My little guy also has his first baseball game of the season tonight. Hopefully the weather cools down, because upper 80′s is not comfortable weather for watching or playing.
I actually gave these strawberry lemonade bars to all of my son’s teachers. I received one of these Aladdin cups at BlogHer Food, and I instantly fell in love. Seriously, I have used it pretty much every second since I have gotten home. So I picked up a few of those from the store and filled them with lemons and lemonade mix packets. And filled a tupperwear with these lemonade bars to go along with it. Seemed summery and perfect for an end of the year, thank you gift.
These Lemon Bars were the first lemon based dessert that I think I have ever made. I loved them so much, I wanted to do a strawberry version. They are so easy to make. Since I needed to use a blender to puree my strawberries, I just used that to mix up the entire filling. So much easier than getting out my mixer. If you don’t have a blender, you can use a food processor as well. The bars start with a shortbread like crust and are topped with a creamy, sweet and tart strawberry filling. Dusted with powdered sugar to serve, and you have a great dessert for any summer get together.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubs
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1¼ cup frozen strawberries
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Spray a 13×9 inch pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, powdered sugar, and butter. Using your hands, mix until it comes together as a dough. Press into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Meanwhile blender or food processor mix together lemon juice and strawberries until smooth. Add sugar, eggs, and lemon zest. Blending until well incorporated. Add flour and baking powder, and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour over the baked crust. Return to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar, and serving.