Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp – crispy coconut crusted shrimp cooked in the air fryer (oven recipe included). Super crispy, crunchy, slightly sweet and delicious.
This post in sponsored by Imperial Sugar. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
Coconut shrimp is one of my favorite things to order at a restaurant. It is always so crispy and the sweet coconut is a great contract with a savory dipping sauce. It makes a great appetizer or if you are anything like me I want a whole meal of it!
Click HERE to get the full recipe.
Traditional coconut shrimp is deep fried, which is how it gets so crunchy, but you can make it at home in the air fryer and it is much healthier for you. If you don’t have an air fryer, don’t worry! It is easy to do in the oven as well, and those instructions are included.
Coconut Shrimp Ingredients
- Shrimp – I like to use large shrimp for this. You really can use whatever size you have, but smaller shrimp will be mostly breading and not cook up quite as well. Peel and devein the shrimp, if they have tails you can leave them on so they are easier to pick up and eat.
- Seasonings – Salt, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder are the seasonings I like to add.
- All Purpose Flour
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
How To Make Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Similar to when you are breading anything else, like these Chicken Tenders, you want to set up a breading station. That sounds complicated but just means put 3 bowls in front of you, fill the first with eggs, the second with flour and the spices, and the third with coconut and sugar.
- Toss the shrimp with flour and gently shake off the excess.
- Add to the beaten egg and make sure to fully cover the shrimp with egg.
- Then dredge the shrimp in the coconut mixture.
- Once they are breaded arrange them in the basket of the air fryer and spray them with oil. Or place on a baking sheet and spray with oil.
- Cook in the air fryer at 400º F for 10 minutes, flipping half way. If you are baking cook at 475º F for a about 8 minutes until they are crispy.
- Once they are cooked serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
There are lots of options for dipping coconut shrimp. You often see it served with a sweet chili sauce. I like to use a mixture of mayo, sriracha and honey to make it spicy and sweet. Recipe for the dipping sauce is included, so don’t miss it!
- Make sure your shrimp is thawed. You can leave the tails on so they are easier to handle, but you want to make sure they are no longer frozen. Shrimp cook quickly, so if part of them is frozen the outside will get very overcooked and rubbery by the time the center is cooked.
- Make sure the shrimp are dry. Shrimp have a lot of moisture in them. Use a paper towel to pan them dry before you start breading them. This ensures the breading sticks and you don’t lose it while they are cooking.
- Don’t over crowd your air fryer. You want to make sure to just have a single layer of shrimp when you are cooking. You want the air to be able to easily circulate, so they get nice and crispy and crunchy.
- These are best eaten right when they are made. You can reheat the leftovers in the microwave or even the air fryer, but they aren’t quite as good as the shrimp becomes rubbery the more it cooks.
What To Serve With
Coconut shrimp in the air fryer is a fun dinner you can make at no time. The dipping sauce helps take it to a whole new level and the whole family will love it!
Plus it only takes 10 minutes to cook shrimp in the air fryer, so dinner is ready in no time!
More Shrimp Recipes To Try
- Baja Shrimp Tacos
- One Pan Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- Shrimp & Avocado Tostadas
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Shrimp & Grits
- Shrimp Cakes
I am sharing this recipe over at Imperial Sugar today. Click on Coconut Shrimp to get the FULL Recipe.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!