Loaded with gooey, melted cheddar cheese, juicy ground beef, and a rich tomato sauce, this beef noodle casserole is a protein-packed comfort meal that’s easy to make. The creamy sauce coats the tender egg noodles, and the Italian seasoning gives this casserole endless flavor.
I’m a huge fan of easy and delicious dinners that are full of protein. And that’s exactly what this quick and easy beef noodle casserole dish is. With soft egg noodles, moist ground beef, a rich and creamy tomato and sour cream sauce, and melty cheese, this recipe has it all. It’s the perfect comfort meal when it’s cold outside.
The secret to this egg noodle casserole is a healthy dose of Italian seasoning, which adds a bright and herbaceous flavor to the rich, hearty, and meaty dinner. With tons of fresh garlic and onions, plus a bunch of tomato sauce, this cozy and protein-packed dinner is a recipe you’ve got to try making.
Why You’ll Love This Ground Beef Casserole
I make this beefy and cheesy casserole dish all the time. Here’s why I know you’ll love it.
- Easy to make. This is such a simple recipe to cook. It uses basic ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge and pantry, and takes just 45 minutes to make. The recipe is super straightforward, so you can easily make it on a weekday when you get home from work.
- So comforting. I make this recipe whenever I need a comfort meal on a cold day. It’s packed with so many ingredients that will make you feel cozy, like melted cheddar cheese, browned ground beef, classic seasonings, and tender egg noodles. This is the perfect recipe to nourish the body and the soul.
- Very affordable. This beef noodle casserole recipe is so filling and loaded with protein, but it’s also really cheap to make. It only uses staple household ingredients, and they’re all super affordable. This is the perfect recipe when you need a comforting and delicious recipe that’s filled with protein, but won’t break the bank.
Here are all the ingredients that you’ll need to make this hearty and rich ground beef and cheese egg noodle casserole. Scroll to the recipe card at the end of the article for the exact amounts of each ingredient.
- Egg noodles
- Ground beef – For best results, use lean ground beef.
- Onion – I use a yellow onion for this recipe, but you can use a white or red onion if you want.
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper – Always use freshly cracked pepper.
- Petit diced tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Beef Noodle Casserole
Here’s how to make this easy, hearty, and delicious egg noodle casserole in just 45 minutes. It’s such a simple recipe!
- Prep. Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the noodles. Bring a pot of water to a boil, and then add the egg noodles. Cook for about 3 fewer minutes than the package suggests, then drain.
- Brown the beef. Add the ground beef and onions to a skillet, and cook until the meat is cooked throughout and the onions are tender.
- Add the garlic. Put the garlic into the skillet and stir. Cook until the mixture becomes very fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Season. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and stir until the ingredients are well combined. Simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Put the noodles, sour cream, and most of the shredded cheese in the skillet, and stir to combine.
- Bake. Pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish. Add the rest of the cheese on top, and bake until hot and bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Tips, Tricks, and Variations
Here are a few tricks for you to use when making this hearty and comforting beef noodle casserole.
- Make your own seasoning. I love to make my own seasonings and spice blends. They have so much more flavor than the kind you buy at the store, and they’re so easy and cheap to make. If you want to take this ground beef casserole to the next recipe, try using homemade Italian Seasoning.
- Really brown the beef. The best way to get flavor into juicy ground beef is to get some good color on it. Make sure you really brown the beef so that you can maximize all the savory and meaty flavors. Don’t be afraid to cook the meat at a pretty high temperature.
- Make it spicy. Some people like their beef noodle casserole to have some kick to it. If you like spicy food, you can add some chili flakes with the rest of the seasonings.
- Cook the noodles al dente. Make sure that you cook the egg noodles for about 3 minutes less than the package suggests. Because you’re then going to cook the noodles in the oven, you want them a little bit undercooked, or else they’ll get mushy when you bake the casserole.
- Use turkey. I make this recipe with ground beef because it’s so rich, meaty, and hearty. But if you want a healthier option, feel free to cook this casserole recipe with ground turkey instead.
What to Serve With Hamburger Noodle Casserole
This comforting beef noodle casserole is rich, hearty, and loaded with cheese and beef. Because of that, it’s best served alongside some fresh and bright veggie side dishes. Here are a few of my favorites.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover hearty beef noodle casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 minutes, or in the microwave in 30-second increments.
Can You Freeze Beef Noodle Casserole?
This is a great recipe to freeze so that you can have easy, rich, and protein-filled meals all year long. Just make sure the hamburger casserole is fully cooled, then store it in an airtight container in the freezer for 6 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
More Easy Casserole Recipes
I love to make casseroles. They’re so easy, comforting, delicious, and hearty. Here are a few of my other favorite casserole recipes for you to try out.
- Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Burrito Casserole
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Enchilada Pasta Casserole
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- 12 oz egg noodles
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can petit diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and add the egg noodles. Cook the noodles for about 3 minutes shorter than the package says to, then drain.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions until the meat is cooked throughout, and the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, then simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the noodles, sour cream, and 1 cup of the shredded cheese to the mixture, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13-inch casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake until the casserole is hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days, or in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheat in a 350F oven for 15 minutes, or in the microwave in 30-second increments.
- For best results, make your own Italian Seasoning.
Amount Per Serving Calories 442Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 129mgSodium 748mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 32g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook,and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can
share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and
tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you
never miss a post!