Cheddar Pretzels – these cheese pretzels are such a fun, easy, and addictive snack to make! No more buying the ones at the store, these are so much better!
Pretzels are one of our go-to snacks in this house. And we love them all. Just the regular pretzels are often used as a dip, some of the flavored ones are a must for road trips, and my husband loves the big hard sourdough pretzels.
The one problem with the flavored ones is sometimes they are lacking. You can taste the flavor, but know they would be so much better with more. Well, now you can make your own and have all the cheddar flavor you want!
What You Need To Make These
- Butter or Butter flavored oil
- Cheese Powder
- Jalapeno Powder (optional)
If you like things spicy or love the flavor of jalapeno and cheddar together adding jalapeno powder to the mix is such a great option. It can be a little hard to find though, so leaving it out is just fine. You can order it on Amazon here.
How To Make Cheddar Pretzels
- Mix together cheddar cheese powder and but melted butter or butter flavored oil until it is nice and smooth. Add in the jalapeno powder if using.
- Pour mixture over pretzels and toss until they are evenly coated.
- Arrange them in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 60 minutes, giving them a good stir every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool completely before serving.
These will last for about a week in an air tight container. No need to refrigerate, just store them at room temperature.
This is going to sound really strange, but if you can’t find cheese powder use the packet that comes with macaroni and cheese. Seriously, it works and is probably a fraction of the price of the stuff you can buy on Amazon.
What Pretzels To Use
You can use any shape pretzels you want. I like to use one that has lots of little spaces for the cheese mixture to get stuck, so it really sticks and gives them lots of flavors. But you can use the traditional ones or even the little sticks…anything works.
Do These Have To Be Baked
Technically no, you could just let them sit out and stir every so often until the oil is absorbed, but I think it is just faster and easier to bake them. Pretzels are very porous, so the oil will absorb into them either way. So if you don’t have an oven, you can let these sit at room temperature for about 4 hours, stirring every 30 minutes until they are dried out.
More Fun Snack Recipes
- Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- Ranch Oyster Crackers
- No Bake Chewy Granola Bars
- Walnut Protein Bars
- Frozen Yogurt Cups
- Spicy Popcorn
- Chocolate Hummus
- 4 cups pretzels
- 1/3 cup Butter, melted or butter flavored oil
- 2 rounded Tbsp cheddar cheese powder
- 1/2 tsp Jalapeno Powder (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon liner.
- Mix together melted butter or butter flavored oil with the cheese powder and jalapeno powder if using.
- In a bowl toss pretzels with cheese mixture and mix until well coated.
- Spread on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove and let cool completely. Let sit for at least 4 hours before serving, best served the next day.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one week.
Can't find cheddar cheese powder? Use the cheese packet in macaroni and cheese.
Amount Per Serving Calories 186Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 22mgSodium 383mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 3g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
**I have an ongoing relationship with STAR Fine Foods for recipe development. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for helping to support the brands that I love.