Brookies – These brownie cookie bars have a fudgy brownie on the bottom and topped with chocolate chip cookies. No need to pick between two favorite ever again!
Brownies are pretty much my all time favorite dessert. I have been making the same Homemade Brownie recipe since I was probably 5 years old. It is fudgy and seriously so good. But a close second are chocolate chip cookies. When my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies come out of the oven, it is all I can do to stay away from them and let them cool enough to even handle. So when you combine those two into one bar, I am in total heaven!
What are Brookies
They are a mix of brownies and chocolate chip cookies combined. It is usually a layer of brownie batter on the bottom and then you drop pieces of chocolate chip cookie dough over the top. Then it is baked to perfection and you get the best of both worlds in each bite.
I prefer to use homemade dough and batter for each, but you could use a box mix and store bought cookie dough to save time and make these even faster! No one will have any idea you took a shortcut, so no shame in taking a little help from the store.
How to Make Brookies
- Start by making your brownie batter. My homemade brownies are really just 6 ingredients, so not difficult at all! Just vegetable oil, melted chocolate, eggs, sugar, flour and salt…super simple! If using a mix just follow the instructions on the box.
- Next make your cookie dough. You do not need a full batch of cookie dough for this, so you can freeze the leftover dough or just bake them into cookies right away.
- Pour the brownie batter into the bottom or a prepared pan. I like to line the pan with foil or parchment paper, so it can be removed from the pan and easy to slice.
- Drop pieces of cookie dough evenly over the batter. You want just small pieces of dough and for it to be mostly covered.
- Bake until everything is cooked. It will take longer than just baking a pan of brownies. If the cookie dough starts to get too browned before it is done you can cover with foil.
You will notice this Brookie recipe makes a full batch of cookie dough. You will only use about half of it in the actual recipe. I like to scoop balls of the dough and freeze them to bake cookies later. Or you can bake them right away, that is totally up to you! You could also cut this recipe in half to make it in an 8×8 inch pan instead of the full 13×9 inch pan called for in the directions.
No matter how you make it, totally from scratch or taking a little help from the store this recipe is a must make for the chocolate lover in your life!
More Brownie Recipes You Will Love
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- Oreo Brownies
- Thin Mint Brownies
- Gooey Brownie Pie
- Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies
- S’mores Brownies
- Triple Chocolate Brownie Skillet
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, , melted
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.
- In a stand mixer cream butter and both sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Add flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Mix until everything is combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- In a bowl mix together melted chocolate and canola oil until smooth. Add sugar and eggs, beat until well combined. Stir in flour and salt.
- Pour brownie batter into the prepared pan. Drop small balls of cookie dough over the batter. It will be mainly covered (you will not use an entire recipe of cookie dough).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cover with foil part way through if the cookie dough is browning too quickly.
You will not use all of the cookie dough. Freeze the remaining dough or bake into cookies right away.
Serving Size24 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 195 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 31mg Sodium 66mg Carbohydrates 25g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 17g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 3g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!