Cosmic Brownies – a homemade version of the childhood favorite. Rich and fudgy brownies topped with a chocolate fudge frosting and rainbow sprinkles.
When I was a kid I absolutely LOVED the Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies. They first came with just nuts on top, which I ALWAYS picked off. I am not a fan of nuts in dessert, so they were always fully removed before I ate the brownies. Then they introduced the Cosmic Brownies with the sprinkles on top, and I was totally in love. It was a lunch box staple for many years!
I am pretty sure the Little Debbie brownies were the start of my love of brownies. They still remain one of my favorite all time treats!
What are Cosmic Brownies
They are a rich chocolate brownie topped with a chocolate fudge topping and sprinkled with rainbow sprinkles. This recipe is a copycat of the version Little Debbie sells.
How Do You Make Cosmic Brownies
- Brownie Batter – start by melting the butter and mixing together the wet ingredients. Then fold in the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix. Bake until a tooth pick comes up with just a few crumbs. You want to just slightly under bake the brownies.
- Frosting – Let the brownies cool completely and then mix the chocolate and cream together to make the chocolate fudge. Pour over the brownies and let it set up.
- Sprinkles – After the ganache is spread, sprinkle with the candy coated chocolate chips or sprinkles.
- Slice – Once the chocolate has completely set, cut into squares and store in an air tight container in the fridge.
Tips for Making Brownies
- You can find the rainbow sprinkles at most craft stores and even some grocery stores. I have seen these at Michael’s, Hobby Lobby and even Kroger grocery stores. They are candy coated chocolate chips, but you can use regular sprinkles or even mini M&M’s if that is what you have or can find.
- Brownies are best stored in the fridge, so the topping does not melt. You can let them sit out for a few minutes to warm up before serving, just be careful if it is a hot day or they are quite messy to eat.
- As with most brownies I make, these are best of they are just slightly under baked. They do continue to cook a little bit after you take them out of the oven. This helps give them the dense texture and make them super fudgy.
- Use a good quality chocolate. These are obviously chocolate centered, so you want to make sure they taste as good as possible. This goes for the cocoa powder in the brownies and the chocolate for the topping. Dutch processed cocoa powder gives you the richest flavor.
- Store brownies in an air tight container. You want to make sure these are covered and stored well, they do have a tendency to dry out quickly.
Can you Freeze Cosmic Brownies
These freeze really well! You can wrap each brownie individually in plastic wrap and then store in a freezer safe bag. They are perfect for a lunch box treat, just like when you were a kid!
These are for more than just kids. This homemade version is super rich and fudgy and something everyone is going to love. So mix up a batch today!
More Brownie Recipes to Try
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Brownies
- Peppermint Pattie Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Brownies
- Easy Homemade Brownies
- Moonies (Chocolate Mousse Brownies)
- Nutella Brownies
- Fudgy Brownies
- Gooey Brownie Pie
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch baking with foil or grease well.
- In a bowl mix together melted butter with sugar and brown sugar until well combined. Add in vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth. Gently mix in flour, cocoa powder and cornstarch until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a tester comes out mostly clean. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Heat heavy cream in a bowl for 45 seconds. Add chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes, then mix until chocolate is melted and is smooth.
- Pour over brownies and spread evenly. Sprinkle with rainbow sprinkles.
- Set in fridge until chocolate is set. Slice and serve.
Amount Per ServingCalories 250Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 44mgSodium 59mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 1gSugar 24gProtein 3g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!