This crunchy southwestern chicken wrap recipe is perfect when you need an easy lunch. It’s fun, healthy, packed with chicken, cheese, and veggies, and only takes 15 minutes to make.
I’m a huge fan of wraps. I think they’re one of the best lunch foods. A good wrap is healthy, delicious, and easy to make. This crunchy southwestern chicken wrap recipe is all three things. It’s full of fresh veggies and lean meat. It’s bursting with southwestern flavors, with a sauce of sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning. And it’s super easy to assemble. It only takes 15 minutes!
These hearty wraps also have a secret ingredient: Fritos. They get their crunch from crushed-up Fritos, which take this southwestern wrap to the next level. Trust me: they’re as good as they sound!
Why You’ll Love These Healthy Chicken Wraps
These crunchy protein wraps are one of my go-to lunches. You’ve got to try them. Here’s why.
- So easy. I never want to spend a lot of time making lunch, especially during weekdays. That’s why I love this southwestern chicken wrap. There’s no cooking involved, and it only requires about 15 minutes of assembly.
- Crunchy and fun. These wraps are anything but boring. Not only are the southwestern flavors exciting, but these chicken wraps are filled with Fritos. They add the kind of crunch that makes eating fun!
- Make it ahead of time. I love being able to meal prep. It helps me save time during the week. These wraps are great for that. They’re just as good after a few days, so you can make a big batch to get you through the week.
What You’ll Need
Here are all the ingredients you need to make fun and healthy chicken wraps. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the page to see the exact amounts for each ingredient.
For the Sauce:
- Sour cream
- Taco seasoning
For the Wraps:
- Tortillas – Make sure to use large tortillas for these wraps.
- Lettuce – You can use any kind of lettuce, but I like to use iceberg for extra crunch.
- Cheddar cheese – For best results, shred your own cheese. However, pre-shredded cheese will also work.
- Cooked chicken
What is Taco Seasoning?
Taco seasoning is a common spice blend that you can find at any grocery store. It usually is made out of chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder. If you don’t have any taco seasoning, check out my Homemade Taco Seasoning you can make a big batch of or just enough for one pound of meat.
How to Make Crunchy Southwestern Chicken Wraps
Here’s how to make these quick and easy wraps. They only take 15 minutes, tops!
- Make the sauce. Put the salsa, sour cream, and taco seasoning in a bowl, and mix them together.
- Sauce the tortilla. Lay a tortilla on your cutting board and spread sauce over the bottom half. Leave a dry border around the edge of the tortilla.
- Add the ingredients. Place the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, cheese, and chicken on top of the sauce. Then crush Fritos over the top of the wrap, and drizzle more sauce on top.
- Fold. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll it tightly. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas, and cut in half before serving.
Tips and Tricks
Here are a few tricks and tips to keep in mind when making these crunchy chicken wraps.
- Adjust the sauce to your spice level. This sauce has a little bit of a kick to it from the salsa and taco seasoning. If you’re a big fan of spice, add more of those ingredients, or use a spicier salsa. If you’re not a fan of heat, use less salsa.
- Roll them tight. Make sure to roll these wraps very tightly when you fold them. Wraps that aren’t rolled tightly might fall apart when you eat them.
- Use extra ripe avocados. These wraps are all about texture. The sauce is creamy, the chicken is juicy, and the Fritos are crunchy. Be sure to use avocados that are super ripe. Unripe avocados have a chewy and stringy texture that you don’t want in these wraps.
What to Serve it With
I like to serve these healthy southwestern wraps with some traditional sandwich sides. Here are some of my favorite recipes to eat with wraps.
- Fat Free Potato Chips
- Air Fryer Green Bean Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
How to Store Leftover Wraps
You can store these wraps in the fridge for up to 3 days. For best results, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. The Fritos will get a little soggy, but they’ll still be fantastic.
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
You can definitely freeze these wraps. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap, then store in an airtight container or bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before eating. However, the lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado won’t be a perfect texture after freezing and thawing.
More Easy and Healthy Chicken Wraps
Need more easy chicken lunches? Check out some of my other favorite healthy wraps.
- Chicken Club Wrap
- Chicken Caesar Wrap
- Asian Chicken Wraps
- Honey Sesame Chicken Salad Wraps
- BBQ Chicken Wrap
- Buffalo Chicken Wrap
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 4 large tortillas (wrap size)
- 1 1/3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup tomato, diced
- 1 whole avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup Fritos, crushed
- In a bowl, mix together sour cream, salsa, and taco seasoning until well blended.
- Lay a tortilla flat on a cutting board. Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of sauce over the bottom half of the tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border on each side.
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup of lettuce, 2 tablespoons of tomato, ¼ of the avocado, 2 tablespoons of cheese, and ½ cup of chicken over the sauce. Crush ¼ cup of Fritos over the chicken. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of sauce over the top.
- Fold in the sides and roll tightly. Repeat with the remaining wraps. Cut in half to serve.
- Wrap leftovers in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for 3 days.
Amount Per Serving Calories 491Saturated Fat 11gCholesterol 90mgSodium 1091mgCarbohydrates 22gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 23g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!