Hamburger Steaks with Mushroom Gravy -easy comfort food that won’t break the bank! Rich mushroom gravy over tender hamburger steaks is a great weeknight dinner.
Weeknights are busy all year round. Doesn’t matter if it is the middle of summer or the middle of December, life is crazy. So easy dinner ideas are necessary every night of the year. This hamburger steak recipe is one of my favorite go-tos.
A hamburger steak with gravy is a classic comfort food that I am sure we all grew up with. This hamburger steak recipe is made with a mushroom gravy, and you don’t have to feel guilty eating it. Plus it gets on the table in minutes.
Hamburger steak with mushroom gravy is a staple, that everyone can make. So easy, even the kids could help or do it on their own. The mushrooms gravy is super simple, and you could really serve that over anything! Chicken Breasts or Pork Chops would be great with it as well.
This dish is also made completely in one pan and is ready in minutes. So you can have this any night of the week, even when everyone is running around like crazy.
What You’ll Need
- Ground Beef
- Olive Oil
- Worcestershire Sauce
- All-Purpose Flour
- Chicken Broth
- Salt & Pepper
How to make Hamburger Steaks
Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the post for the FULL PRINTABLE recipe card.
- Start with ground beef. This uses a lean ground beef to make it healthier, but if you aren’t counting calories or don’t care, you can use an 85% lean cut. Mix together the ground beef with olive oil. Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Them form into patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and cook the patties for about 3 minutes per side. They don’t have to be cooked through, just browned on the outside. Remove them from the skillet and keep warm.
- Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan, add the mushrooms and cook them for a few minutes until they start to cook down.
- In a small bowl mix chicken broth and flour together until smooth.
- Pour in the chicken broth mixture, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Add hamburger steaks back to the pan. Cook for 4 more minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Once the sauce is thick and the patties are cooked, serve immediately.
My family loves a perfectly grilled ribeye, but they aren’t always the most affordable dinner. But this time we are using ground beef, which gives you a lot of the same flavor but not all the cost. Plus the mushroom gravy on top just makes it incredible!
What Goes with Hamburger Steaks
And if you love mushrooms as much as I do, don’t be afraid to make extra! And check out my tips on How to Cook Mushrooms perfectly every time.
- I like to use baby bella mushrooms for this because they have more flavor. But you can use white button mushrooms, crimini or any type that you like.
- I always get asked why chicken broth when cooking with beef? It is personal preference. You can definitely swap out the chicken broth for beef broth here. For me, it can sometimes be overpowering, and I like the hamburger patty to stand out, so I use the more mild tasting broth. But use whatever you like.
- If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- These are best with lean ground beef, because of the oil called for in the recipe. You are mixing it into the patty. If you use a fattier cut of meat, you may want to reduce the oil called for so it isn’t too greasy.
More Easy Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Chicken Pot Pie Noodles
- Meatball Subs
- Ground Beef Stroganoff
- Taco Frito Pie
- Creamy Chicken and Rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, (crimini, or baby bella), sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix together ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil, swirling to coat. Add hamburger patties, and cook for 3 minutes each side. Remove from the pan.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to the pan. Mix in mushrooms, and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are starting to brown.
- In a small bowl mix chicken broth and flour together.
- Add chicken broth mixture, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Add hamburger steaks back to the pan. Cook for 4 more minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Cooking Light http://www.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/essential-weeknight-recipes/burger-steaks-with-mushroom-gravy-weeknight
Amount Per Serving Calories 277Saturated Fat 3gCholesterol 72mgSodium 803mgCarbohydrates 8gSugar 2gProtein 27g
I created a fun group on Facebook,and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can
share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and
tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS
recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you
never miss a post!