Stovetop Creamy Chicken and Rice – Tender chicken and mushroom with creamy rice in an easy one pan dinner. So easy and great for busy nights.
When I was growing up there were a few things that were staples in our house. Chicken and rice casserole was one of them. My mom would mix a can of cream of mushroom soup, milk, rice, and lots of poultry seasoning together. Top with chicken breasts and bake until everything was done. I loved the creamy mushroom rice in that dinner.
But today I am making it even better! Not only is there no canned soup involved, but it is ready in about 25 minutes on the stovetop, and all in just one pan! Plus real mushrooms are involved! There is still the milk to make it creamy and delicious.
This post is sponsored by ADA Mideast. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
I am excited to be sharing this recipe in a partnership with the American Dairy Association. You may remember Yogurt Marinated Pork Kebobs that I shared earlier this year. I am a huge proponent of using real milk and dairy in your life.
Dairy alternatives tout a nutrient or two, but they don’t measure up to the nine essential nutrients in cow’s milk. Many milk alternatives are fortified to mimic the nutrient profile available in cow’s milk. For example, an 8-ounce glass of cow’s milk, including fat-free, flavored and organic, provides eight times more naturally-occurring protein than a glass of almond beverage.
Non-dairy alternatives, such as almond and soy, contain many added ingredients, including salt, syrups, thickeners and sugars. Cow’s milk, on the other hand, is pure and simple. Check the label to compare the added ingredients. This chicken and rice has just a few simple ingredients, and that is what makes it over the top amazing!
Chicken dinner ideas are something that everyone is always looking for. It can be something like Tuscan Chicken Pasta that is creamy and delicious. Or a classic chicken and rice casserole. Mushroom rice pilaf is one of my favorite side dishes, so why not combine a classic with my favorite side dish for a delicious and tasty chicken dinner.
Anytime you can cook a full meal in one pan I am happy! And this creamy chicken and rice is a huge crowd pleaser. The poultry seasoning is what I used to love about the chicken and rice casserole my mom made. So there is plenty of it here! The rice and everything cooks together until the rice is tender. Then you stir in milk or even heavy cream right and the end to serve. Seriously, the whole family is going to love this!
See how cow’s milk stacks up against other “milk” options in the dairy aisle. Not only does it make this easy chicken dinner extra creamy and delicious, it is nutritious and good for you.
How to Make Creamy Chicken and Rice
- Cook Chicken. The chicken, mushrooms and onions all cook together in a little bit of olive oil until the veggies are soft and tender.
- Season well. I like to use Italian season, poultry seasoning as well as salt and pepper. There is plenty of flavor in this dish, not the bland version of chicken and rice casserole you grew up with.
- Cook the Rice. The uncooked rice gets mixed in with the chicken and so does the chicken stock. Bring it to a simmer and the rice will cook and absorb all the great flavor as it cooks.
- Make it Creamy. Once the rice is cooked you stir in a little bit of milk and Parmesan cheese. This brings everything together and gives it that rich and creamy taste!
What to Serve with Creamy Chicken & Rice
- General Tso’s Chicken
- Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Garlic Baked Chicken
- Honey Dijon Chicken
- Coconut Chicken Curry
For more information about dairy nutrition, to find delicious new recipes and to meet Ohio and West Virginia dairy farmers, visit Drink-MIlk.com, and follow the American Dairy Association Mideast on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 Tbls olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasnoning
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup whole milk, or heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, and onion to the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is starting to brown and veggies are soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant
- Season with Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Stir in chicken stock and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Stir in milk and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per ServingCalories 340 Total Fat 12g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 7g Cholesterol 94mg Sodium 635mg Carbohydrates 21g Fiber 2g Sugar 5g Protein 36g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!