Lemon Chia Seed Muffins – Super moist and light lemon muffins with chia seeds. Made with Greek yogurt. Complete with a light glaze!
I was super excited when I received my assignment this month. I have been secretly stalking Nutmeg Nanny for months. She has a great site, with all sorts of amazing recipes. The girl can mix a cocktail like no other as well. Brandy lives in New York where she really is a nanny, and she recently got engaged. If you haven’t met Brandy before, go check out her site, lots of yummy stuff!
I had a seriously hard time figuring out what to make. I actually made her Honey Spiced Glazed Chicken, and it was amazing. My pictures didn’t do much for me, so I took that opportunity to try something else! I also have this Marinade recipe, Asian Coleslaw, and Cheesecake Dip recipes printed to try soon! But in the end I chose a these lemon chia seed muffins.
I had recently purchased Chia Seeds, because I have heard such great things about them. I have been wondering what do to with them, and then I saw these muffins! The perfect thing to test them out. You can’t really even taste them.
So if you don’t have them, just leave them out. Or you could use poppy seeds instead. The glaze on top is light and has great lemon flavor to go with the muffins. You could omit the glaze if you are trying to be a little healthier, but it is just so good!
My 7 year old was a little hesitant at first because of the chia seeds all throughout, but he liked them. He isn’t big on lemon anything, so they weren’t his favorite. Which just means more for me! They are just so moist and light, it is hard to stay away from them! Lemon Chia Seed Muffins are also great with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 Tbls chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 Tbls butter, , softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, , zested
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup Greek vanilla yogurt, (non fat)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 - 2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 12 cup muffin tin with non stock spray or liners.
- In a small bowl combine flour, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well each addition.
- Mix in lemon zest and vanilla. Using a spatula mix in the flour and yogurt until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins about 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the pan for a few minutes, before removing to a wire rack.
- While the muffins are cooling prepare the glaze. Whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar until smooth. Drizzle a little over the top of each muffin. Allow glaze to set before serving.
Adapted from Nutmeg Nanny
Serving Size1 Servings
Amount Per ServingCalories 278Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 52mgSodium 245mgCarbohydrates 43gFiber 2gSugar 24gProtein 6g