Chocolate Chip Muffins – Light and fluffy muffins with lots of chocolate chips. Great to make and stash in the freezer for quick mornings.
Do you have those recipes that you have been making for years and years, and you just take them for granted? This is one of those for me. I have this muffin recipe memorized, and make these chocolate chip muffins all of the time. I found the recipe about 10 years ago, and it quickly became a family favorite.
Muffins are one of my sons favorite things to eat for breakfast in the morning, so I always have them in the freezer. Between these muffins and these make ahead Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches, busy school mornings can be easy and not stressful.
Chocolate Chip Muffins are something special. You can use a box mix if you want, but they are nothing like these. And these are super easy with just a few ingredients! I almost always make a double batch of these muffins, so my freezer is stocked and ready.
If you have bananas to use up, you can make these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins too. These almost always make an appearance when my son has friends spend the night, and if they don’t, I will hear about it. I mean, chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Muffins From Scratch
- The key to the best muffins is to not over mix them. Start by mixing together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- Mix the chocolate chips in with the flour. This helps make sure that the chocolate chips don’t sink to the bottom and are evenly mixed throughout your muffins.
- In a liquid measuring cup measure your oil. Then crack an egg into the oil. Then fill your measuring cup to the 1 cup line with milk. This amount can change slightly each time based on how big your eggs are.
- Stir the egg into the oil and milk mixture before pouring into the flour. This will help make sure you don’t over mix the batter.
- Pour into the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Fill muffins cups and top each muffin with a few chocolate chips. Then bake until a tester comes out clean.
The base recipe for these muffins is not super sweet, but tender and moist. So you could switch out the chocolate chips for blueberries or nuts or anything else you wanted. I kind of have a muffin problem, with some crazy 50 or more muffin recipes on the blog. So never have to hurt for inspiration.
Chocolate Chip Muffins will quickly become a staple in your life once you try this recipe. Chocolate for breakfast is the best idea, so these Triple Chocolate Muffins should also be a must try.
How to Thaw Muffins
Take out a couple of frozen muffins in the morning and microwave for about 30 seconds to a minute. You can’t get much faster than that for a quick breakfast. Or you can put them frozen in a lunch box and they will thaw just in time for lunch. A great snack or treat any time of day!
Tips for Making Muffins From Scratch
- I like to use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin tins. They all come out the same size this way and it is a lot easier for clean up.
- If you want to freeze muffins let them cool completely and then place in a freezer safe bag or air tight container for up to 3 months.
- Over mixing muffin batter can make muffins tough. It helps to mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then combine until they are just blended.
- Add any berries, chocolate chips or nuts with the flour mixture. This helps them from sinking to the bottom as the muffins bake.
More Muffin Recipes to Try
- Double Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins
- Cinnamon Roll Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
- Pancake Muffins
- Nutella Muffins
- Chocolate Oatmeal Banana Blender Muffins
- Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chocolate Chip Muffins - Light and fluffy muffins with lots of chocolate chips. Great to make and stash in the freezer for quick mornings.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 10 muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup.
- Mix this with flour mixture.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 14 to 16 minutes.
- Remove muffins from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan to cool completely.
Adapted from Allrecipes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 19mgSodium 217mgCarbohydrates 41gFiber 2gSugar 25gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!
- 4th Of July Poke Cake - June 6, 2023
- Strawberry Jelly - June 5, 2023
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla - June 2, 2023
Saturday 20th of March 2021
Mmmmm... who can resist these muffins! They look so inviting!
Friday 19th of March 2021
Yum! My teens are going to love this recipe! So excited to give this a try!
Beti | easyweeknightrecipes
Friday 19th of March 2021
Such a fantastic muffin!! Everyone LOVED these!! YUM!
katerina @ diethood.com
Friday 19th of March 2021
These Chocolate Chip Muffins did not last long at our house! They were amazing!! I can't wait to make them again and again!
Thursday 18th of March 2021
I am a sucker for a good chocolate chip muffin, I cannot wait to make these this weekend!