Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins – a healthier muffins with whole wheat flour and no oil that tastes like you are eating and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie!
It is a new year, it is time for a new muffin recipe. You all know that I am obsessed with muffins, so this should come as no surprise. And because we are nearing the second weekend of the new year, I am going to keep your resolutions going.
I made a healthy muffin with oatmeal, no butter or oil, flax meal, and even whole wheat flour. I added some chocolate, because life is just better with chocolate. These oatmeal chocolate chip muffins are super healthy, but taste like you are eating an oatmeal cookie.
There are lots of oatmeal muffins out there, so I had to come up with my own. I decided to add some flax meal, for added nutrition. I am kind of obsessed with the stuff lately. I put it in smoothies all the time too.
It doesn’t change the taste, but adds fiber, protein, and omega-3’s. It is great to add to quick breads, and all sorts of other baked goods.
My 7 year old was a big fan of these. He liked them warmed up, so the chocolate was all gooey and melty. And I found that if you put a tiny bit of butter on them, they were over the top good! There is lots of good stuff in them, so a little sliver of butter isn’t too out of the question, right?
Trust me, you are going to want a stash of these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins in your freezer for busy days.
Want more muffins? Check out the 50 Muffins that have been shared here before, all in one place.
Caramel Apple Monkey Bread Muffins by Lemons for Lulu
Chocolate Applesauce Muffins
Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
Apple Carrot Zucchini Muffins by Wine and Glue
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Milk, , Divided Use
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/3 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cups Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cups Flax Meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup oats, and 1/2 cup of milk. Let the oats soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add applesauce and vanilla, mixing well. Mix in flours, soaked oats, flax meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Best served warm.
- Store in an airtight container. Can easily be frozen.
Amount Per ServingCalories 184 Total Fat 7g Saturated Fat 3g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 3g Cholesterol 17mg Sodium 214mg Carbohydrates 29g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 14g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 4g