I hope everyone had a good Halloween and a great weekend. We had a fun night of trick or treating, followed by way too much candy consumption. I have no will power, it is not pretty. Which is why I tend to give away pretty much everything I bake. Sometimes I worry my friends are going to stop talking to me, because I supply them with so much stuff! But I guess when there is chocolate involved, there is room for forgiveness.
We are back with the #ChocolateParty for November. This month the challenge was to pair chocolate with pecans. The only thing my mind could think of were Turtles. I had so many ideas incoraporting turtles into hand pies, cookies, or brownies. But I was craving something with oats in it. Oatmeal just seemed like the right thing for fall. Thus, these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars were born.
The pan size for these oatmeal bars matters. I used a pan that was a little too small, and it made a big mess of my oven. I was lucky it was a nice day out, so I could open the windows! No worries though, the bars came out unharmed. Dense, chocolate-y, full of oats and pecans, and just plain yummy! Switching up the flavor of chips in these bars would be good too. I think a mix of butterscotch and chocolate would be a great alternative.
- 1 cup butter, , softened
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups oats, (not quick cooking)
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, , chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an electric mixer cream butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs, and vanilla; mix well. Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda until well incorporated. Fold in oats, chocolate chips, and pecans.
- Spread in to a 15x10 inch pan for thinner bars, or a 13x9 for thick bars.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes for thin, closer to 30-40 for thick.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool before slicing.
Amount Per ServingCalories 307Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 36mgSodium 223mgCarbohydrates 37gFiber 3gSugar 23gProtein 4g
How to participate (the rules)
1.) Blog about your chocolate treat. Your recipe must include the two ingredients we choose. It can be a simple no bake treat or a sophisticated layer cake, the complexity level of the recipe is totally up to you.
2.) Include a link back to the Chocolate party page. Optionally, add the Chocolate Party logo in your blog post or on your sidebar.
3.) Your recipe must be published during the current month. Please do not link old recipes, they will be deleted.