Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins – a healthier muffins with whole wheat flour and no oil that tastes like you are eating and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie!
I think muffins might be one of my favorite ways to start the day. I mean, who doesn’t like dessert for breakfast, right? But in all seriousness, muffins don’t have to be like cake. They can be loaded with whole grains, low in sugar and actually good for you!
These oatmeal chocolate chip muffins are loaded with whole grain oats, flax meal, whole wheat flour and have no butter or oil in them! You have to have some fun, so there are chocolate chips. But these muffins are super healthy, but taste like you are eating an oatmeal cookie.
One of my other favorite healthy muffin recipes are these Chocolate Banana Oatmeal Blender Muffins that are naturally gluten free with no butter, oil, or refined sugar. Healthy muffins really are a thing!
Oatmeal Muffin Ingredients
- Rolled Oats
- Brown Sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Whole Wheat flour
- Flax Meal
- Baking Soda
- Chocolate Chips
To make these healthy oatmeal muffins even better for you, I decided to add some flax meal. I am kind of obsessed with the stuff lately. I put it in smoothies all the time too.
It doesn’t change the taste, but adds fiber, protein, and omega-3’s. It is great to add to quick breads, and all sorts of other baked goods.
How to Make Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Combine the oats and the 1/2 the milk and let it sit for 5-10 minutes for the oats to get nice and soft and absorb the milk.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and brown sugar until it is nice and smooth.
- Stir in the applesauce and vanilla, mixing it well.
- Next you mix in both of the flours, soaked oats, flax meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Once combined stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk and fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.
These muffins are best served warm. I like to microwave any that don’t get eaten right away. You can also Freeze Muffins. Just let them cool completely and store in an air tight container for 2-3 months.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Bran Muffins
- Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Egg White Breakfast Bowls
- Avocado Scrambled Eggs
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Milk, Divided
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/3 cups Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cups Applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cups Flax Meal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 1 cup oats, and 1/2 cup of milk. Let the oats soak for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add applesauce and vanilla, mixing well. Mix in flours, soaked oats, flax meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cups with batter. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Best served warm.
- Store in an airtight container. Can easily be frozen.
Amount Per ServingCalories 184Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 17mgSodium 214mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 14gProtein 4g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Connect with Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!